Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 07:53 AM

Re: Sciatica

I had acupuncture, on the nhs, about five years ago. I thought it hadn't worked at the time, but maybe it helped. I still get probs but not so bad.

I do hula hoops, as recommended by the physio/acupuncturist.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 07:54 AM

I could never manage a hula hoop every when young fit and healthy !
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I could never manage a hula hoop every when young fit and healthy !
You don't need an actual hoop ... just go through the motions.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:02 AM

I will give it a try .
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I was so happy last week the sciatica had gone I could walk again easily . But now it has come back with a vengeance and I can’t sit or get up out of a chair . Now I know why they have those power chairs that launch you off them .
It’s blooming agony !
Once sciatica strikes, it can reoccur at any time. I've had it for around 25yrs and it occurred following a simple but spine jarring stumble while visiting Castle Drogo. I've endured all sorts of physiotherapy including acupuncture but nothing worked for me. Since then I underwent a discectomy that seemed to work for about a year and then the old problem returned again. I now cope with rest and a fully adjustable reclining chair from Norway. For me, the most important thing is to stop what I'm doing at the first hint of the sciatica reoccurring and allow any spasm to recede in my recliner. By doing this, I am able to live life reasonably and can tackle most things that do not involve stooping or lifting. You have to become it's master and not the other way around.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2021, 08:54 AM

Oh God
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:30 AM

I’m so sorry you have to deal with this Muddy. Back issues can be brutal !
Wishing you all the best.
I’d go with the acupuncture myself.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your pain Muddy....
I'm not a doctor but have done lots of research into Sciatica because I've been struck down with it a few times.
As Longdriver has explained it's mainly associated to bending, stooping and kneeling for long periods, the lower back muscles knot up and interfere with the sciatic nerve. They only have to knot up in the vicinity of the nerve to cause pain, and because the muscles are involuntary it's very hard to relax them.

Have you tried Ibuprofen Muddy? As an anti-inflammatory it may help the muscles to relax. I go and see a physio, but his job is to remove the knots in the muscle after it has stopped being inflamed, it will not help while the muscle is inflamed and cramped. I've tried acupuncture and ultrasound in the past and both of these helped but I think it was on the way out anyway. Try the Ibuprofen to ease the immediate pain Muddy and I hope you will be soon on the mend.... I'll try not to hug you too tightly...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:51 AM

Eating anti inflammatories foods should help as well as anti inflammatory pills ( very hard on the stomach lining ) and muscle relaxers. ( muscle relaxers make you incredibly sleepy though )
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2021, 10:36 AM

Just got a call back from the Dr and he has prescribed some painkillers . Apparently the OTC stuff I had lurking in the first aid box is not strong enough ( not to mention out of date ) so can go and pick up prescription in a couple of hours .
This is what comes of doing dangerous stuff like weeding !

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top