Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 04:52 PM

ever thought about or run your own business?

After leaving BT to run with Sue our own business what a different world. No more regular pay check- no more paid holidays- getting clients/customers- advertising the list is endless with going it alone.

So why do it? Simple every £ earned went into our pocket apart from expenses,ie tax insurance etc. not into someone elses who often doesn't deserve it .

Was it worth it? yes 100 percent is the short answer.

So would you "go it alone"?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 05:08 PM

Re: ever thought about or run your own business?

Err, yes. Several. Started while still employed.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 05:15 PM

It’s great that it worked out for you and Sue realspeed

But for me…Er… no. It’s difficult and scary to branch out on your own with a single income.
The risk is mine alone and I have one more kid to get through Uni then it’s just me, myself and I.

Perhaps then I can consider scaling down and doing my own thing whilst travelling.

I have a loooong way to retirement and I still need to continue to save up. Being employed affords me great benefits
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 05:26 PM

I worked in sales for a Corporate Hospitality company for a while in the 80s, saw an opening for a corporate party consultancy. Did it from home for 11 years, made nothing for the first couple of year, but then it took off. Google killed it: come 2000 all the options were on the internet.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 05:27 PM

I would rather be employed and having a sure paycheck coming in. But if I was stuck, then certainly I would try to give running my own business a shot. It takes years to make a profit though because you need to plough everything back into the business. Including time.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I would rather be employed and having a sure paycheck coming in. But if I was stuck, then certainly I would try to give running my own business a shot. It takes years to make a profit though because you need to plough everything back into the business. Including time.
There are ways whereby you DON'T need to plough everything back as you build a business. Not even time.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There are ways whereby you DON'T need to plough everything back as you build a business. Not even time.
I don't really know enough about it, to be honest Todger....It would be nice to see some return sooner rather than later though. But doesn't it depend on the business you go for? Like...online ventures seem to be successful a lot sooner than regular bricks and mortar business
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->

So true it took us about 7 years to get established. The kennels and cattery were really run down and very few clients to start with. Nearly packed it all in several times but had no option but to make a go of it
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

21-07-2021, 06:12 PM

Well you made a real success of it Realspeed, and that is testament to your dedication. I think running a business does need a certain amount of determination, patience, and late nights!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 06:17 PM

Running my own business would not be for me.

I grew up with my parents running their own business for many years.
The worry gave my poor old Dad two heart attacks. The second one killed him.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top