Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 01:27 AM

Re: Planktons Deluxe Furniture Restoration and Other Odds and Ends

Very nice work.
I really like the colour and the idea of recycling.
Ukulele’s are nice . My brother played one when he was young. They and a banjo. Lol. I wish I took up guitar or some type of stringed instrument when I was younger.
We use clamps a lot. They are super handy.
Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

23-07-2021, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Holding stuff together when nobody else is about!
I don't know much about music even though I was the drummer in a 'skiffle group', well not really a drummer, I had a tea chest with a pole attached to one side and a tight string to the middle of the tea chest! Bit like a very primative double bass without a bow!

Very nice to meet you!

Thats some gumption and resourcefulness right there. The simplest of instruments can be the most expressive, even more so if you're the one who put it together.

Here's my mug with my PRS in the background. Fish tank and dying palm too. The poor thing needs a bigger pot. Hopefully it's not too late for her.

Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

23-07-2021, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Very nice work.
I really like the colour and the idea of recycling.
Ukulele’s are nice . My brother played one when he was young. They and a banjo. Lol. I wish I took up guitar or some type of stringed instrument when I was younger.
We use clamps a lot. They are super handy.
Thank you Bratti!

Yes indeed. Clamps and heavy duty construction adhesive are holding the world together.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 03:26 AM

I envy people like you plank.You must get a lot of satisfaction in getting a good job jobbed.I can't knock a nail in straight.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 06:18 AM

I know this thread is about your coffee table and a superb effort it is too.And that is a lovely axe collection. I LOVE GUITARS... me i have an Epiphone Biscuit resonator, a Telecaster Squire, a Yamaha APX custom. An Admira Paloma classical,an American Strat Standard. And a Vintage Maton dreadnought. No basses.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
Thank you sir!

It's not that I need them, they're either mostly molds that I've tried out and just didn't fit my form, or they're putters. I like to have a good stack of 20 or so for putting practice. I have a nice collection of "Wall hangers" too, which are discs that are worth quite a bit more than what I've paid for them, like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293957134704

Then there's the ones that are waiting to be given away for charity events, donations for kids beginners leagues, schools and such. The best way to grow the sport is have the right equipment available for everyone who wants to give it a try.

Some are also winnings. We have leagues, and within most every league round there will be CTP's (Closest To the Pin) which is just an extra challenge, and most often it's either money, or a disc.
OK, thanks for the reply.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:04 AM

Nice bit of DIY there Plank.

Got a suggestion for you - try getting hold of some old jukeboxes and repurpose those so you can select the disk you want to look at/use by the press of a button. That would be cool
Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

23-07-2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I envy people like you plank.You must get a lot of satisfaction in getting a good job jobbed.I can't knock a nail in straight.
Thank you Psmith.

My problem is once I get a thought in my steel trap for a noggin, I have to see it to completion, otherwise I can't think straight. That's a challenge in itself really.

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I know this thread is about your coffee table and a superb effort it is too.And that is a lovely axe collection. I LOVE GUITARS... me i have an Epiphone Biscuit resonator, a Telecaster Squire, a Yamaha APX custom. An Admira Paloma classical,an American Strat Standard. And a Vintage Maton dreadnought. No basses.
Thats a solid collection! The Resonator I have was a gift, and it's a knock-off from China, so it kind of just disintegrated after a while. It's not really playable these days, but luckily I did get a decent recording out of it when it was new.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
OK, thanks for the reply.
Cheers!

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Nice bit of DIY there Plank.

Got a suggestion for you - try getting hold of some old jukeboxes and repurpose those so you can select the disk you want to look at/use by the press of a button. That would be cool
That would be a bit involved. Quite a bit more than I'd like to bite off but I wouldn't turn down the opportunity. A few years back I was taking care of a good friends parents place after he had passed, and he had quite a gem of a Jukebox. A Wurlitzer. Very old, and stocked with Perry Como, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and quite a few others. It was nice to sit and sip a drink while the old crooners blasted out of that thing.

Again, thanks all!

I really do appreciate the responses. Keeps the mojo flowing.
Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

27-07-2021, 08:39 PM

The Bin

This poor thing was in bad shape.

A friend wanted to have this repainted to match another piece she had recently purchased, but it needed a little bit more than just paint. Hinges falling apart, huge holes in the sides of the backing front face piece, and it was sitting on the wood frame so the bottom was falling apart and held together with pin nails that had to be kicked back in to place every so often.

So, first up was getting the inside painted:

Then, I painted the outer portions with a white ceiling paint for texture. After I decided I had made a terrible error in judgement with the ceiling paint I resanded it and used some rattle can gloss:

I didn't get a whole lot of pics on the mess it became after that. Since the front face was simply tacked to the outer frame at the back, the white paint went through to the other side, so I had to wood putty the gaping holes and then run a bead of caulk around the perimeter. After that I gave it some feet to get it off the floor and then putty'ed the old hinge holes since the new ones were at a linear spacing as opposed to the offset holes of the old hinges. I then created a bit of black accenting at the half-round pieces that were original to it, and buttoned it up with the new black hardware and some clear rubber stoppers to keep it off the paint when it's closed up. Not really much to this one.

The finished piece in it's intended spot:

The matched piece at right:

Thanks for tuning in!

Next up: Work Bench

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top