Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Re: Inguinal Hernia Repair Repair Repeatedly Delayed

That’s good news Omah, your recovery is going well.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Latest:

After several strong coffees and a litre of water, a succesful bowel movement was achieved ...... no need for Ex-Lax .....

To celebrate, I removed my anti-embolism stockings, which were, surprisingly, cool and quite comfortable but which had been on my legs for 3 days .....

Next, a shower and dressing replacement before lunch and a probable doze .....

Tonight ..... a couple of beers .....
Pleased to hear that your operation is finally done and that the surgery went well Omah.
I don't think you should have taken your compression stockings off quite so soon. Two weeks minimum I think it is after surgery. I think I would put them back on - you don't want a DVT. Didn't you receive any advice or a leaflet.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Pleased to hear that your operation is finally done and that the surgery went well Omah.
I don't think you should have taken your compression stockings off quite so soon. Two weeks minimum I think it is after surgery. I think I would put them back on - you don't want a DVT. Didn't you receive any advice or a leaflet.
Mr Mags has to wear his compression stocking for two weeks after his knee replacement op to lessen the risk of DVT.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Originally Posted by Mags ->
Mr Mags has to wear his compression stocking for two weeks after his knee replacement op to lessen the risk of DVT.
On discharge, I was advised to wear the stockings for another 48 hours then start showering. As my abdominal operation was relatively minor I have been mobile since being moved from the recovery ward, so the risk of DVT is, presumably, significantly decreased. Wearing the same stockings for two weeks would not, IMO, be hygenic so, if had to wear them that long, I would have expected at least a spare pair, along with the additional wound dressings .....

ETA My leaflet says "It is important that you take some exercise to prevent blood clots in your legs. Some surgeons will recommend that you wear anti-embolic stockings for a short while after the operation. This will help to improve the circulation in your legs whilst you are less mobile than normal."

As exercise, I intend to walk to my local shops for milk, bread, etc. - but nothing heavy enough to require "strenuous" effort .....
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 12:49 PM

I wore my anti DVT stockings for a full 5 days once. Then I had a shower.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:17 PM

Re DVT stockings

One of my neighbours is a senior maternity nurse so I checked with her about stockings procedure. She agreed with the advice that I'd been given - as long as I remained mobile and took exercise then there was no further need to wear the stockings. Those of her patients who are required to wear them for an extended period during and post maternity are issued with spare pairs.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Well, although the surgery was successful and I have been pain-free, sensitivity, soreness and discomfort in the groin area (no laughing, please ..... ) have persisted so I've been to see my GP.

I had an interview then an examination. All my body functions (stop laughing at the back ..... ) are normal and the wound is healing slowly, but normally - it's taking longer than I thought just because I'm "aging" .....

Frankly, that's no consolation when I'm shuffling along the pavement when I should be striding but I'll have to put up with it for another month or so .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 03:12 PM

Omah, Would exposing you stomach area outside, during this nice weather, help with the healing process?
I know it sounds daft but l imagine that the area is covered with your clothing but having the warm fresh air on it, might help?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-05-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Omah, Would exposing you stomach area outside, during this nice weather, help with the healing process?
I know it sounds daft but l imagine that the area is covered with your clothing but having the warm fresh air on it, might help?
Is that what you're doing with your wound - exposing it to the healing rays of the sun .....

If you are then I will .....

But, it should be noted, my wound is in the groin area and exposure will necessitate the dropping of the drawers to a position whereby neighbours, overlookers or passers-by might be offended .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Is that what you're doing with your wound - exposing it to the healing rays of the sun .....

If you are then I will .....

But, it should be noted, my wound is in the groin area and exposure will necessitate the dropping of the drawers to a position whereby neighbours, overlookers or passers-by might be offended .....
Surely, there is somewhere private? I thought it was good idea! You could tell the overlookers or passer-bys that it’s for medical reasons. I’m sure they would understand!

My wound is almost better. I am more miffed that my procedures that have left me slightly mutilated, were unnecessary and that the mammogram in this modern age, should have been more accurate.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top