Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 07:18 PM

Re: Incarcerated criminals should pay incarceration costs

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Not as in Labour Party!
But as in leg irons and chain gangs!
We would then have at our disposal large numbers of
able bodied labourers!
Which we could use to fill gaps in the economy, such as
seasonal work on farms or building new roads or airfield
runways etc, anything heavy or dirty or dangerous that is
carried out presently by law abiding citizens!
These teams or gangs to be supervised by the existing
prison staff, augmented by any citizens that were displaced
by the prisoners! They could still be accomodated in their
current premises!
There should be no human rights issues as they will only be
doing what law abiding citizens are presently doing for a
living!

Regards Donkeyman!

And put honest labourers out of work.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It is ludicrous that most English undergrads have to pay big bucks for what in most cases is a poor education in our universities and yet crims pay zilch for being provided with accomadation, food, and more.

IMO prisoners should be charged for at least some if not all of their incarceration costs to be repayable on release.

Perhaps by a garnishing of their wages, maybe by having a special tax code, or a surcharge on any "benefits" they get on release.

Apart from being right and proper it would be at least some reduction on the stupidly high costs that we tax payers have to fund.

Why not?
I don't know about that. It could encourage them to go on a crime spree in order to raise the money.

A far better solution, in my opinion, would be to force them to work for their food when they're in jail. Hard labour.

Oakum picking and rock breaking are probably not much required today, but clearing up litter, cleaning graffiti, digging over old people's gardens, etc. would be at least useful.

For the worst offenders, I'm sure much more tedious and demanding work could be found.

Needless to say, this must not be anything like 'community punishment', but the crims would be obliged to live in cells with little or no comforts or pleasures.

EDIT:
Reading on, I see that others have beaten me to it!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
And put honest labourers out of work.
I did suggest that the honest labourers could be retrained
as prison warders etc, and be in charge of the criminals
Tregonsee!
They could also work as carers and such that are so much
in demand at present where criminals would not be suitable!
This could be paid for by the government leasing the
prisoners to whoever requires workers to carry out dirty
dangerous or strenuous work!
Makes sense to me?

Best Regards Donkeyman!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 09:22 PM

I guess the problem is that if you impose financial penalties on criminals after they have been released, what is to stop them re-offending?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Oakum picking and rock breaking are probably not much required today, but clearing up litter, cleaning graffiti, digging over old people's gardens, etc. would be at least useful.
I was visiting my dad's grave a couple of years ago when the community service lot were there. I didn't realise who they were until I noticed one guy checking out my car and then the jackets they were wearing gave them away. All I can say is that when I get to the age that I need to have my garden dug by someone like the guy who checked out my car, I would prefer to let it grow wild. I can't explain why but I felt defiled.

Several years ago I went to a church social when staying with a friend. The vicar there introduced a visiting vicar who was an ex con and had turned his life around. He gave a talk about how he went to prisons and tried to help criminals see that they could change their lives and give back to society. He had an amazing presence and was very inspirational.

These people are all on the journey of life and some take a wrong turn, make a mistake, others aren't even guilty but have been stitched up by someone else. (this has been proven time and again). Some are pure evil. But putting them all in one evil basket and you miss those who can get back on the straight and narrow.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 08:41 AM

I wouldn't like a criminal digging up my garden either .
Put them to cleaning litter up around our filthy towncentres
Flytipping etc etc
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I guess the problem is that if you impose financial penalties on criminals after they have been released, what is to stop them re-offending?
Make prisons places of punishment and not just places of incarceration as at present. Places of pain and suffering. Places that instil a raw fear of ever being returned to them.

The claim that incarceration is punishment in itself is nonsense.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by the artful todger ->
make prisons places of punishment and not just places of incarceration as at present. Places of pain and suffering. Places that instil a raw fear of ever being returned to them.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-06-2019, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Make prisons places of punishment and not just places of incarceration as at present. Places of pain and suffering. Places that instil a raw fear of ever being returned to them.

What about chopping off their hands for stealing or introducing public beatings and beheadings? I guess that would save the prison system some....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-06-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What about chopping off their hands for stealing or introducing public beatings and beheadings? I guess that would save the prison system some....
I agree with you, though I'd prefer our traditional 'hanging until you are dead'.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top