Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Re: Do We Need To Revise The Ten Commandments?

If you follow christianity or judaism and regard the bible as the word of god, then I would have thought that it shouldn't be changed. After all, if god wanted them modified, wouldn't he send down an angel or something with a new set of tablets for a modern day Moses to promulgate?

If you are not a christian/jewish, then the first four are irrelevant and the last six (despite the archaic language) are pretty much enshrined in common morality anyway.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Yes and now Aerolor has revealed that I didn't have an original thought
Doesn't matter ben-varrey - it could be an interesting thread as long as we don't all start arguing about it (or is that inevitable).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Ah but there were many, many commandments and the 'men in charge' cherry picked the ones that they thought would bring about order (granted through fear). So change wouldn't necessarily be altering them per se but including relevent things that were left out as it didn't suit the purpose of the church back then but could be very pertinent now.

Must look out my Banned From The Bible DVDs and check those out again.

With the environment, it wouldn't have been an issue back then (not sure it is now to be honest)

Doesn't matter ben-varrey - it could be an interesting thread as long as we don't all start arguing about it (or is that inevitable).
Well, if the other religious thread is anything to go by - I, for one, will be donning some combat gear and a sturdy second skin
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
After all, if god wanted them modified, wouldn't he send down an angel or something with a new set of tablets for a modern day Moses to promulgate?
Would we listen if a new prophet did show up? I suspect they'd be sectioned quite quickly!

That's one thing I do find odd about religion that if you speak to God, that's fine but if you hear him you suffer from delusions
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Would we listen if a new prophet did show up? I suspect they'd be sectioned quite quickly!
How true! - Remember how people treated poor David Icke when he wanted to warn us about the Lizard Illuminati running the world.

http://rense.com/general56/liz.htm
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
I know that
I know you know
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Never ? I have visions of you going round murdering and coveting etc

Actually they do still give some good rules for life imo.
I draw the line at Murder, Julie - although I know a few folk I would love to murder (only joking)
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I know you know
Good one and I just love emoticons
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
I draw the line at Murder, Julie - although I know a few folk I would love to murder (only joking)
Rosemary darlin' - join the back of the queue, AND I'm NOT joking, I want my T.72 tank parked across the river from the Palace of Westminster at 12.00pm on a Wednesday when the 'house' is sitting and my finger on the trigger!!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Cut out "thou shall not covet thy neighbour's wife..........she's a cracker !

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top