Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 10:29 PM

Random acts of kindness

There was an item on the radio about a person who was carrying out random acts of kindness.
Have you ever been the recipient ?

I moved to a house in Somerset and having been there a little while something very odd happened. Occasionally when I went to bring in the milk from the back door which faced the road I would find some vegetables on the doorstep .

I never saw anyone leave them and never found out who it was who left them . I asked my neighbours, none of them ever saw anything or received any.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 11:10 PM

Re: Random acts of kindness

When we moved into our house in cornwall we found a brace of pheasants in our porch the next morning ...we never found out who put them there .... My husband thought it was some kind of voodoo and was a little freaked .... not being a country person he couldnt get his head around some one doing it.... I early one morning put a cucumber on the door step of each of my neighbours as I had a glut of them, when asked by people if I knew who did it I pretended not to know ..... The next book club evening was full of talk about who it could of been , it made me laugh... Here in France its normal for neighbours to share out gluts and I often find things on my doorstep.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 12:23 AM

Unfortunately there seems to be a much greater number of random acts of unkindness these days. I get so sick of people who have no consideration or thought for others from blocking doors, standing in theatre aisles, pushing and shoving. Not us oldies of course!!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 06:29 AM

I've always given my neighbours my surplus garden produce. One lady always buys me a box of biscuits at Christmas as a thank-you.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 09:16 AM

I like to leave little gifts at my neighbours' doors occasionally. One lady loves Elvis, and I left a shopping bag with his picture on, tied to her tree! I've sometimes left magazines or small bags of food outside their door (only when it's dry and I know they won't be out long) too. I like to do it anonymously, though they do quiz me and I confess. It makes me smile to think of their faces.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Lovely posts, gives yer heart a little lift....
Baggy - did make me giggle re hubby thinking the gift was 'voodoo'
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

24-02-2013, 09:50 AM

I like to help people out when I can. I am not sure about leaving something anonymously on someone's doorstep though, that could freak some people out, or think it had been delivered to the wrong place.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Lovely reading all these - good thread!

Had neighbours help me when I took two dizzy spells just as Xmas (both male) who went and got me some messages, yet one neighbour's wife was ill at the same time!

I used to get my late neighbour's messages for her up until she went into hospital, sadly she never came out.

It is nice to be nice though and good to see there are still good around!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 11:25 AM

I leave food on the doorstep of a local charity that help to feed homeless people.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 11:39 AM

A lovely thread you started here Meg
We've given pot plants as a welcoming gift to new neighbours in the past ... but sadly people keep themselves to their selves nowadays.
Our new neighbour is different though - she made us a cake in the summer and we told her to pick all the runner beans she could reach from her side.
I've never had a surprise gift left on my doorstep though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top