Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

24-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Re: Random acts of kindness

When we moved into our new home last year we were overwhelmed by the kindness of our neighbours, cards, flowers etc. We have lived in many parts of the UK in our 43 years of marriage but have never found people so friendly before. Admittedly our eldest girl is well known and liked in the community, so this appreciation has probably been extended to her parents. Hopefully we will be able to pay back the kindness. So touched I have been by our reception, I wrote a letter to our local paper thanking the people for their welcome.
SOUL DJ
Hants. UK
SOUL DJ is female  SOUL DJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Yes, people seem to keep to themselves, not wanting to get involved.
Me, I love to help where I can and just hope that someone comes along when I need.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 03:27 PM

Here most people are helpful and friendly. My OH looked after an old lady who lived down the road for 3/4 years, he took her shopping, did her gardening, took her to the doctor etc, she relied on him completely after her friend who helped her died. We did what we could and she knew she only had to phone if she had a problem. We also give lemons to anyone who wants them and if we have too much food in the house we give that away too, but most of our neighbours do the same. There is one English man who doesn't have much to do with anyone and he puts lemons off his tree outside his gate with a notice on "3 euros a bag" ! I don't think he gets many takers.
WinterRose
Ohio / Indiana
WinterRose is female  WinterRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 01:11 PM

OH YES ... as this just happened to both my daughter and I last week ... We were riding the bus to go and see a friend of her's downtown and as we were sitting there I was talking with a older gentleman that we had met a few months back and well he then handed me 20.00 and said I do hope that this helps out with your FUTURE SON IN LAW and so I was so happy to see that !! And, the next time we saw this older gentleman ... was not to be so he was a blessings to us.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2013, 01:23 PM

I haven't been the recipient of acts of kindness since I moved to the Isle of Man (other than parents nominating me for special mention in the newspapers which was nice of them) but I have often given random acts of kindness - usually to elderly people I see struggling with shopping, I give them a lift home and help them carry shopping in but I've also picked up a man that was clearly having trouble walking and had slumped against a garden wall, trying to catch his breath. I turned the car around and went back for him and took him home - that happened twice! I told him we had to stop meeting like that
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Re: Random Acts of Kindness

Willow
UK
Willow is female 

07-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Our daughter was out for a walk with me yesterday, and as we were passing a house into which one of her parishioners had just moved, she decided to do a pastoral visit. The young woman was thrilled with the kindness she had received from her neighbours, including the gift of a bottle of wine.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 02:23 PM

MIchael, that picture choked me up . A dear friend of mine died 2 years ago.

He could have been that man's twin brother, and that was exactly the sort of thing he would have done.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Lovely picture Michael....
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2013, 07:11 PM

years ago someone left 1/2 full of all kinds of veg and soft fruits, and another with pots in behind my car. A friend who had a massive garden and grew his own had been to get some tickets for the cricket and he'd left them. Last year at caravan site, owner saw me coming down the steps, never said anything but when we came back my steps had been replaced with some bigger ones to make it easier for me to get up and down. They even moved my caravan for me cos my friend didn't like the trees facing, I didn't ask they offered. I used to make dinners for the old chap opposite in winter he bought me a Queen Victoria Jubilee glass from a flea market, I wouldn't part with it for anything.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top