Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Should EDF Sue Protesters?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21537939

Five million pounds? That seems a bit extortionate to say the least. However, do you agree that EDF are doing the right thing by suing the DashForGas people? Do climate change activists have the right to protest in the way they did?

Finally, why does a French company own a British gas supply? Nothing of that mentioned here:

http://www.electricity-guide.org.uk/...df-energy.html
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

04-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Re: Should EDF Sue Protesters?

I am glad they are suing those scum.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 09:52 AM

People have the right to protest, as long as they are not violent I can't see why a company should be allowed to sue them, it would set a terrible precident for further protests.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

04-03-2013, 09:54 AM

No doubt they will protest again when the power goes off!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 09:57 AM

And so they should considering how much we have all paid over the years to these countries, they should have all this sorted out years ago.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
People have the right to protest, as long as they are not violent I can't see why a company should be allowed to sue them, it would set a terrible precident for further protests.
This was the main thrust of the argument on the programme I watched (The Big Questions) that it came across as Big Commerce flexing its muscles at ordinary people who try to object to commercial practices. As they admitted trespass, why weren't they dealt with in criminal courts as opposed to civil courts?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-03-2013, 10:01 AM

I'm not sure, few years ago I was involved in several protests, we were allowed to be on the property of the people we protested about (by the police) as it was safer than us standing either blocking the pavement or in the road. It was OK as long as we were peaceful.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 10:15 AM

I think it depends upon the nature of the protest. If a protest interferes with the legal activities of the organisation, then they are perfectly within their rights to sue the protesters. Actions have consequences and if you can't "do the time, don't do the crime!"
In my younger days I was very much involved in the Anti-Vietnam War protests and was very aware that my actions could result in arrest or a beating - that was the risk we took and we certainly didn't complain about it when it did.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think it depends upon the nature of the protest. If a protest interferes with the legal activities of the organisation, then they are perfectly within their rights to sue the protesters. Actions have consequences and if you can't "do the time, don't do the crime!"
In my younger days I was very much involved in the Anti-Vietnam War protests and was very aware that my actions could result in arrest or a beating - that was the risk we took and we certainly didn't complain about it when it did.
Do you think £5m is a bit excessive though Mick? Where would ordinary people get £5m from? I think it's the amount that they are suing for that irks me - it just feels like muscle flexing.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 10:50 AM

These protesters thought it was clever to occupy the chimneys of this power station, some 90 meters above ground, putting themselves and others in danger.

Even though protesting, EDF had a duty of care towards these irresponsible people and this is where, in part, this cost has come from.

An example for future protesters, I would have thought.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top