Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Re: Should EDF Sue Protesters?

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
These protesters thought it was clever to occupy the chimneys of this power station, some 90 meters above ground, putting themselves and others in danger.

Even though protesting, EDF had a duty of care towards these irresponsible people and this is where, in part, this cost has come from.

An example for future protesters, I would have thought.
But £5m though?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Do you think £5m is a bit excessive though Mick? Where would ordinary people get £5m from? I think it's the amount that they are suing for that irks me - it just feels like muscle flexing.
Of course it's excessive - and their lawyers know that they don't have a hope in hell of getting any money from the protesters. As you say, it's just posturing in order to discourage others.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Of course it's excessive - and their lawyers know that they don't have a hope in hell of getting any money from the protesters. As you say, it's just posturing in order to discourage others.
From the reactions I've seen, EDF are getting bad press over this so is it a good idea in the long run? Or maybe they don't care. I do think that particular group of people went a bit too far but I wouldn't like to see people being reduced to being too afraid to take any form of action against the profit monster.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 11:13 AM

There is nothing wrong with protesting providing it's responsible. It's the irresponsibility of these protesters that is being brought into question.

As for the £5M, I'm sure the company will settle for less - the point has to be made, however, that there is a measure of culpability in what these protesters did and they are now, to their horror, being brought to book.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 11:14 AM

I agree with Fogey on this, there were other ways the group could have protested without dangerous stunts and a lot of protesters don't even care about the the issues anyway imo they're just bored attention seekers
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
There is nothing wrong with protesting providing it's responsible. It's the irresponsibility of these protesters that is being brought into question.

As for the £5M, I'm sure the company will settle for less - the point has to be made, however, that there is a measure of culpability in what these protesters did and they are now, to their horror, being brought to book.
I agree they went too far but I was just shocked at the amount - that left me feeling less sympathetic towards the Company.

Originally Posted by maggis ->
I agree with Fogey on this, there were other ways the group could have protested without dangerous stunts and a lot of protesters don't even care about the the issues anyway imo they're just bored attention seekers
It's strange you should say that Maggie as on the programme - they were very animated (there was also that chap from Greenpeace) and very vocal. When the topic turned to unwanted sexual advances towards women - that group of climate change people sat and looked utterly bored! Climate is a concern but so too is the welfare of fellow human beings - I thought that was a very odd reaction from them so maybe, as you say, it could be attention seeking or looking for a purpose in life.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Well although I have always been worried about women in the workplace being targets of unwanted attentions I think I too would have been less than impressed if I was asked while I campaigned for something completely different about my views on it.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 12:04 PM

It's a fact that ther are some ' professional protesters 'out there, rent-a -mob folk who have been seen at various gatherings of different causes, not all of them I'm sure but still, there are other ways to make your point than upsetting peolpe going about their lawful business ,imo
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 12:53 PM

I think it is good that some folk have a belief, that transcends self interest, whatever that belief may be.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Personally I think it will be thrown out before it goes to court, as it is the EDF customers will have to foot the bill if they lose, and I think they will.
Now the people who will be sued have already said that they will declare themselves bankrupt so no one will get paid anything at all.
But they have nothing to start with, so it is a ludicrous court case if it gets that far.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top