Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Re: Should Essential Services Be Government Owned?

Time to go back and un-privatise all those departments that were privatised. Doesn't work, won't work and never will work! All privatisation has brought is huge hypes in prices. They are pricing themselves out the door!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Depends if there is real competition. If there is then private enterprise is far more efficient if there is not then the state should own/run it.
Well, as I'm wearing my cynical head, I would say there isn't real competition. I believe they price fix between themselves and prices rarely come down and, on the odd occasion they do, it's never at the speed they went up.

I remember the Office of Fair Trading was supposed to be looking into why Britain was being charged almost double for CDs and DVDs than any other country - as far as I'm aware, nothing came of that. It's also cheaper to buy cars anywhere other than Britain; there was a case a few years ago where an Irish reporter bought a car from an Irish supplier for £x then an English reporter from the same company rang the same dealer and was given a higher price. The problem is also the existence of multi-nationals who end up with a monopoly and you can't fight against that sometimes.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->

I remember the Office of Fair Trading was supposed to be looking into why Britain was being charged almost double for CDs and DVDs than any other country - as far as I'm aware, nothing came of that. It's also cheaper to buy cars anywhere other than Britain;
Hang on! that is what we are told in Australia can't be true in both places.

In fact the family car, Holden Commodore VFs exported to the USA and sold as Chevrolet SS are cheaper there than here. Work that one out.

ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Hang on! that is what we are told in Australia can't be true in both places.

In fact the family car, Holden Commodore VFs exported to the USA and sold as Chevrolet SS are cheaper there than here. Work that one out.

If only I could Bruce - it would appear that it has been decided that some markets will tolerate higher prices than others; more fool us eh ...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 06:25 PM

People, you all say that privatisation hasn't worked and that the utilities should be put back into public ownership - yes I agree, but who amongst you back in 1979 and through the 1980s voted for Thatcher???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 09:45 PM

Depends if there is real competition. If there is then private enterprise is far more efficient if there is not then the state should own/run it.
Efficient at making profit for shareholders ! If they were publically owned no profit would need to be made and we could invest in new power stations.

Mind I am glad they weren't in public hands during the labour fiasco-imagine the green taxes they would have levied given a chance like that !!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
People, you all say that privatisation hasn't worked and that the utilities should be put back into public ownership - yes I agree, but who amongst you back in 1979 and through the 1980s voted for Thatcher???
I don't have a gripe with Thatcher in particular but I believe many people were delighted to be able to buy their council home that they'd lived in for years and gave them a leg up onto the property ladder - one they may not have had had their council home not been sold to them. Labour have sold utilities - you'd think, given their anti-Tory stance, that they'd learned that lesson but apparently, it must be paying dividends for the country to do exactly that yet they still sold Thames Water to the Australians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemble_Water_Limited. Water is the one commodity that should definitely not be privatised as people have no other choice but to pay whatever is charged and as fresh water starts to dwindle around the world - will fresh water be sent to the countries that can afford to pay the most for it? It appears that is exactly what has started to happen http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...d-s-water.html.

I won't even start about half-witted Brown (the so-called talented economist) who sold of the UKs gold reserves when gold was at an all-time low and he completely ignored the BofE advice not to see it - but he did. Labour are no better; they are just as bad.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Aren't all the utillity companies in foreign ownership, how could they now be re-nationalized?.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Aren't all the utillity companies in foreign ownership, how could they now be re-nationalized?.
Mine isn't Paul , I understand OVO is UK based with private finance. They were Top Energy Provider in the Which? Switch consumer survey 2011.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 12:18 AM

Private enterprise watches the bottom line while a government-run utility's practices and budget are open to scrutiny. I worry about quality of services and safety of the employees being compromised in a competitive situation. (Maybe that's just me.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top