Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

09-03-2013, 10:13 AM

How times change - thank goodness

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21698533

This lifestyle survey makes interesting reading.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Re: How times change - thank goodness

I think we do take many of the 'necessities' we have these days for granted because we have got used to having them .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Some things have changed for the better some haven't.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 11:36 AM

I can remember when, in the early '50's, we got the phone in - had to go on a shared line back then. The next door neighbour had a hoover and she thought she was the queen!! We do take loads of things for granted though. Where I lived in Govan in an old 3 storey tenement building, we were "toffs" as we had a wally close and inside loo!!

Great article and certainly very interesting. I know the survey just goes back to 70's but things hadn't changed all the much really up until then!

Thanks for sharing.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

09-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What hasn't changed for the better?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can't think of anything that hasn't got better.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

09-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can't think of anything that hasn't got better.
Nor can I. I would hate to go back to times past.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 12:37 PM

That brought back some memories Willow, thanks.
To say something good about those days, a person could always find work then and the children had Mam at home to look after them, ensuring a good start to the children's lives. Now Mam and Dad have to work and pay strangers to look after the kids and they still find it hard to manage.
After all the improvements and gadgets for the home, the women are complaining more that ever, and have to go to Gyms for exercise. Men and women cannot find work, better off?, I don't think so, but then I'm just an old fashioned git, each to his own.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
To say something good about those days, a person could always find work then and the children had Mam at home to look after them, ensuring a good start to the children's lives. Now Mam and Dad have to work and pay strangers to look after the kids and they still find it hard to manage.
After all the improvements and gadgets for the home, the women are complaining more that ever, and have to go to Gyms for exercise. Men and women cannot find work, better off?, I don't think so, but then I'm just an old fashioned git, each to his own.
I'm inclined to agree with much of your post Jem - I think a lot of technology has harmed society in that it has replaced human labour making jobs scarce; once the financial industry hits a bump - people become unemployed. I also think children should have a parent who is in when school has finished - whether that is Mum or Dad is irrelevant as long as it is one of them. My mum worked (by choice) and was never in when I got home from school and did I envy my friends that their mum was home! It wasn't nice going home to a dark, empty house at the age of about 8. I vowed never to do that to my children and I never did. Completely agree about the gym comment as well - and they drive there
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

09-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
In the bad old days women were expected to do all the household chores. At least most men are expected to gets off their backsides and muck in too these days, especially if the woman also goes out to work.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top