Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Re: How times change - thank goodness

Originally Posted by Willow ->
In the bad old days women were expected to do all the household chores. At least most men are expected to gets off their backsides and muck in too these days, especially if the woman also goes out to work.
In Spain, it is a legal requirement that men help women with the housework and child rearing and if they don't, women can then use that as grounds for divorce. In Sweden (I think it is), women will judge a man more on his ability around the house and with children than what he earns, so I've been told. I should have been Swedish I think.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
In the bad old days women were expected to do all the household chores. At least most men are expected to gets off their backsides and muck in too these days, especially if the woman also goes out to work.
There were then and still are today some men who are lazy B......s, time will never change that.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
There were then and still are today some men who are lazy B......s, time will never change that.
To be fair - there's a fair few women that can wear that tag as well ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 01:21 PM

What hasn't changed for the better ? well I'm compiling a list LOL

Top of it today would be phones, yes we all need them but before we had them did we get cold calling all times of the day and night ? Silent calls etc

Mobiles - mid conversation with someone they answer their phone or start texting back to someone. And do we all need to hear the person next to us having a conversation about what to have for dinner when he gets home or bickering with someone about what to buy ?

All the technology we have and boy do we pay for it dearly in many ways.

Some things are marvellous but you would need to be blind not to see some of the things that are harming our society and making our lives poorer.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

09-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Mobile phones can be a bit of a nuisance granted, but they are very useful too.

I can't think of anything I regret about losing from times past.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I'm inclined to agree with much of your post Jem - I think a lot of technology has harmed society in that it has replaced human labour making jobs scarce; once the financial industry hits a bump - people become unemployed.
Oh come on! Land enclosures in the late 18th Century led to mass unemployment and starvation. BUT enclosures meant the end of subsistence farming and eventually led to a better life due to the technology of the industrial revolution. That is the history of mankind - constant evolving improvement.

Technology doesn't make jobs scarce it removes the mind numbing drudgery of menial jobs and creates other opportunities for employment and wealth. Witness the shift from manual work in manufacturing to the service sector.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Yes because we are much better off mindlessly serving other people than making something - whole country benefits ! And wages go down too - so much better off ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

09-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Technology doesn't make jobs scarce it removes the mind numbing drudgery of menial jobs and creates other opportunities for employment and wealth. Witness the shift from manual work in manufacturing to the service sector.
Bruce, that just shows how small-minded you are being - what might be drudgery to you is an income to someone else; not everyone aspires to greatness, many people just want a liveable income. Where are these opportunites for employment and wealth? Where is this manufacturing industry? There are many in Britain that would like to know that information.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

09-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes because we are much better off mindlessly serving other people than making something - whole country benefits ! And wages go down too - so much better off ....
That was the whole point of the technological revolution Julie - how to replace expensive and troublesome workers: easy - get a machine to do it instead as it doesn't require being paid, holidays, sick leave and will work 24 hours a day without expecting a tea break or weekends off.

Not rocket science is it
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Bruce, that just shows how small-minded you are being - what might be drudgery to you is an income to someone else; not everyone aspires to greatness, many people just want a liveable income. Where are these opportunites for employment and wealth? Where is this manufacturing industry? There are many in Britain that would like to know that information.
Small minded eh? I'm glad you are happy to see children working down mines or under looms or people working from dawn to dusk six or seven days a week for a pitiful pay. The sole reason this doesn't happen any more is because of technology.

The technology you so despise creates the extra wealth that allows you to have retirement, welfare payments, public hospitals, affordable transport systems, entertainment, 38 hour working weeks, leisure time, holidays all the myriad of things that makes modern society so pleasant.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top