Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Re: How times change - thank goodness

And the benefit bill rises so all those in these marvellous jobs created will be paying to keep the rest of us. Surely better we were working making something than that ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Small minded eh? I'm glad you are happy to see children working down mines or under looms or people working from dawn to dusk six or seven days a week for a pitiful pay. The sole reason this doesn't happen any more is because of technology.

The technology you so despise creates the extra wealth that allows you to have retirement, welfare payments, public hospitals, affordable transport systems, entertainment, 38 hour working weeks, leisure time, holidays all the myriad of things that makes modern society so pleasant.
Oh for goodness sake Bruce - I haven't mentioned children going down mines or up chimneys or people working 12 hours a day, seven days a week.

I do not despise technology (quite a leap from you there) but I don't see it as being wholly benevolent either. Technology, inarguably, has cost jobs for people for the reasons I have already given. If more and more people are unemployed, where will the money come from to pay for pensions, welfare, hospitals? If people aren't working, they can't afford entertainment and holidays - they're trying to survive on benefits and low pay as salaries/wages are driven down relative to the cost of living.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Its obvious 'technology' has cost a lot of workers their jobs. Plus the recent closure of so many shops due to online purchasing = no business rates etc., its a shame - but thats progress for ya..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 03:10 PM

One thing that has got worse is the amount of freedom the children have. When I was a child I could go to play in the woods about a mile away from home and be there all day with my pals. No parent would allow that these days.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Dont get me started on that again Alan - I'd better decline from comment, but, I do agree with you...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
What hasn't changed for the better?
I think the taste of food is not as good as it was some years back.
I can remember buying a new white loaf, and it smelt nice as well as tasting nice, not any longer.
I also think over the years quality has suffered, maybe because we buy more foreign goods.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-03-2013, 03:16 PM

You're right about food Arfa - just dosent taste the same...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Its obvious 'technology' has cost a lot of workers their jobs. Plus the recent closure of so many shops due to online purchasing = no business rates etc., its a shame - but thats progress for ya..
Yes progressing some of us onto the dole, there was a dignity to working making something to look at the end of the day to the rack of hairdriers you had produced, the bonus at the end of the month for reaching your target and earning enough to live without claiming any benefits.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I can remember buying a new white loaf, and it smelt nice as well as tasting nice, not any longer.
I also think over the years quality has suffered, maybe because we buy more foreign goods.

Now your talking Arthur, I got a sandwich in my son's house last week and the bread tasted and felt like nearly dry putty, he said he got in in a well known supermarket, he's as useless as me for shopping.
Years ago you could get a loaf in one of the many bakeries (now closed) and you would start picking at it and have half of it eaten before you got home, followed by a wallop from your mother, but it was worth it, lovely bread and sadly missed today, although my wife's homemade bread is not bad. Sorry she's looking over my shoulder, I meant to say it's gorgeous.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
One thing that has got worse is the amount of freedom the children have. When I was a child I could go to play in the woods about a mile away from home and be there all day with my pals. No parent would allow that these days.
I remember that and no pesky mobile phones so they could tell you to come home for dinner or a bath! Part of me feels sorry for today's children, we'd roam for miles, like you Alan, for a whole day and it was fabulous.

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Absolutely - there's nothing to beat home-made bread now and the slices of bought bread (on the Island) are like doorsteps! And it goes stale very quickly.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top