Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Man's Only Natural Predator

This is how the virus is often described and given the latest news of bacterial strains that are antibiotic resistant and that we face a medieval-type problem of people dying from infecction, do you think this 'threat' is real? Why have the bacterial strains become resistant? Overuse of antibiotics? Antibiotics being fed routinely to farm animals destined for the food chain? Or just another scare story?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Re: Man's Only Natural Predator

Think it is real. You can overuse things. I have been offerend Antibiotics a few times and refused them.
I think you can try and get rid of some bacteria around you. If going into hospital make sure you take your own wipes and anti-bacterial spray.
Dont rely on the bed and the cupboard you have at the side of the bed being clean. Bath in salt so take your own to keep your skin clean. If you are very poorly get your visitors to clean around you etc. It wont cure everything but I do think a little self help in certain things will keep you going longer.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
This is how the virus is often described and given the latest news of bacterial strains that are antibiotic resistant and that we face a medieval-type problem of people dying from infecction, do you think this 'threat' is real? Why have the bacterial strains become resistant? Overuse of antibiotics? Antibiotics being fed routinely to farm animals destined for the food chain? Or just another scare story?
I think there is a significiant threat in the future - more and more strains of bacteria are becoming antibiotic resistant and I don't think what we are being told is scaremongering.

I am not sure about antibiotics used on animals destined for the human food chain, although I would hope that by the time we eat the food any antibiotic residue will have long since been eliminated. Although look at horses and the NSAID used in their treatment, use of which prohibits any treated horse being used for human consumption.

People can and still do die from infections and it has been well known for some time that bacteria can and do become resistant to antibiotics used in treatment. Bacteria will mutate and adapt to resist antibiotics. It is a constant battle to find antibiotics which will be effective and I believe that overuse of antibiotics is the reason why we now are finding so many strains of baterium which are resistant to antibiiotics. How many times do patients go to the doctor and demand antibiotic believing it is the answer to their problem?
Personally I am very reluctant to take antibiotics and prefer to manage without if I possibly can. Fortunately, I am a generally healthy person and I believe my body has a strong defence system which is not compromised. It may take a bit longer to get over things, but when I am ill if I can manage without antibiotics then my body will build up its own defence and keep it's natural resisitance intact. Antibiiotic is somewhat indiscriminate and frequently wipes out the "good" bacteria we have as well as the illness we want to get rid of.

MRSA is a very well known example of how a common bacteria has become resistant to antibiotics. Many of us (more than we would think) carry the staph bacteria around quite harmlessly on our skin and in our noses.

I have lifted the information below from the NHS Choices website.

“MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a type of bacterial infection that is resistant to a number of widely used antibiotics. This means it can be more difficult to treat than other bacterial infections.

Staphylococcus aureus (also known as staph) is a common type of bacteria. It is often carried on the skin, inside the nostrils and the throat and can cause mild infections of the skin, such as boils and impetigo.
If staph bacteria get into a break in the skin, they can cause life-threatening infections, such as blood poisoning or endocarditis (an infection of the inner lining of the heart).

How bacteria become resistant to antibiotics
Antibiotic resistance can occur in several ways.
Strains of bacteria can mutate and over time become resistant to a specific antibiotic.
Alternatively, if you are treated with an antibiotic, it can destroy many of the harmless strains of bacteria that live in and on the body. This allows resistant bacteria to quickly multiply and take their place.
The overuse of antibiotics in recent years has played a major part in antibiotic resistance. This includes using antibiotics to treat minor conditions that would have got better anyway or not finishing a recommended course of antibiotics.”
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

12-03-2013, 01:23 PM

For far too long antibiotics have been handed out like sweeties by doctors giving into demands from patients. In future they should only be prescribed if absolutely necessary. Hopefully new antibiotics will be created by the drug companies, but that could take about 20 years.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 01:34 PM

Hi Karen I would say yes, all of the above.

I am always surprised when people say they are going to the Dr with every little sniffle and expect to be prescribed antibiotics and some get them too.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 01:58 PM

You can't get Antibiotics out of our Doctor for love nor money lol.
Yes I do think there's a problem with us becoming resistant to antibiotics, as BowieEyes says....a little self help can go a long way.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Think it is real. You can overuse things. I have been offerend Antibiotics a few times and refused them.
I think you can try and get rid of some bacteria around you. If going into hospital make sure you take your own wipes and anti-bacterial spray.
Dont rely on the bed and the cupboard you have at the side of the bed being clean. Bath in salt so take your own to keep your skin clean. If you are very poorly get your visitors to clean around you etc. It wont cure everything but I do think a little self help in certain things will keep you going longer.
On the news, they said that e-coli (I think that was the one) lives naturally in the gut and it's harmless whilst there - it's if it gets into other areas that it can kill: how does it get into other areas?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 02:04 PM

I can't remember the last time I had any kind of infection and I can't remember the last time I went to the doctor (I think it was about 1986) yet I spend a large part of my day clearing up and disposing of the pooh generated by my 12 dogs - something you might think raises all kinds of bacterial threats. I think the over-prescription of anti-bacterials has really lowered people's natural resistance to infection. We see exactly the same thing with vets. We are always advising people whose pups are suffering from the serious squits and which has worsened since they took the pup to the vets and were prescribed anti-biotics. The vast majority of these problems are caused by simple overfeeding and can be pretty much instantly cured by a 24hr water only fast, followed by smaller feeds. Unfortunately for both doctors and vets, anti-biotics are all too often the easy first option.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-03-2013, 02:07 PM

Aerolor - many moons ago (1980s) - I worked for a physiologist at a major university and he told me that when antibiotics are taken, they destroy around 98% of all bacteria in the body; the remaining percentage is immune to that antibiotic and the problem arising is that all bacteria in the body will multiply from that percentage that is left. That being the case, why has it taken until now to become a serious problem?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 02:08 PM

On the news, they said that e-coli (I think that was the one) lives naturally in the gut and it's harmless whilst there - it's if it gets into other areas that it can kill: how does it get into other areas?
By people not washing their hands properly when they have used the loo .

One big problem with Antibiotics has always been people not following instructions and taking the whole course , they stop because they feel better and the bacteria lives on becoming stronger .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top