Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Re: Man's Only Natural Predator

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Karen I would say yes, all of the above.

I am always surprised when people say they are going to the Dr with every little sniffle and expect to be prescribed antibiotics and some get them too.
Our surgery and hospitals have signs up stating what won't be treatable by antibiotics but I doubt it puts people off. One thing I have noticed is the overuse of Amoxycillin - it seems that is prescribed for everything pretty much. Like others have said, I'll avoid them if I can but not much can be done about animals being fed them unless we can afford organic meats and poultry.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->

I am not sure about antibiotics used on animals destined for the human food chain, although I would hope that by the time we eat the food any antibiotic residue will have long since been eliminated. Although look at horses and the NSAID used in their treatment, use of which prohibits any treated horse being used for human consumption.
I remember it being reported in the newspapers when doctors were asking farmers to stop using antibiotics as routine applications in animals destined for the food chain for this very reason - whether or not they complied I don't know. Another thing that makes me wonder about the lifespan of drugs was the recent story that was reported that 'they' think that the reason men are becoming infertile is down to HRT (and contraceptive pill) in the drinking water - it would seem medications last quite a while!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 02:24 PM

I am a big believer in "It came on its own it will go when its ready"If its serious I go to the Doctor. I think we know our own bodies.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 05:17 PM

I think drugs fed to animals that then go into the food chain must be a threat .... When you look at the size of the last two generations there must be a link to the drugs fed to animals to make them larger. Now adays people are so much taller and wider. I dont just mean fatter
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 05:36 PM

I have bottles of that hand Visco Rub that the Hospitals have outside the Wards. I bought then off the Internet and always have 2 on the go. One in the Toilet and the other in the Kitchen. I'd not be without it now.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Aerolor - many moons ago (1980s) - I worked for a physiologist at a major university and he told me that when antibiotics are taken, they destroy around 98% of all bacteria in the body; the remaining percentage is immune to that antibiotic and the problem arising is that all bacteria in the body will multiply from that percentage that is left. That being the case, why has it taken until now to become a serious problem?
Not sure it's quite like that ben-varrey. AS you will know there are many different strains of bacteria as well as viruses and they react differently in certain conditions and to various stimului. Some bacteria do us no harm at all and are actually beneifical, but others are pathogenic in nature, e.g. the TB bacteria. I understand it is the pathogenic bacteria and viruses that can become mutated and become resistant to antibiotics, but it takes place over a period of time and these changes don't happen immediately. Almost every year the flu virus has changed in composition. My knowledge is limited, but it is an interesting subject. Even experts cannot say accurately what will happen because we are all individuals with an individual chemical make-up and resistance which changes and bacteria and viruses are also continually changing. I think it is a continual race to keep one step ahead.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 07:51 PM

I certainly am not keen on antibiotics.

Re antibiotics in the food chain, here's a recent article dated Sept. 2012, and here's an excerpt: "The overuse of antibiotics in animal agriculture and medicine is putting human lives at unnecessary risk and driving up medical costs, according to a group of group of 150 scientists that includes a former head of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Along with 50 US farmers and ranchers who have opted out of using non-therapeutic antibiotics in their animal feed, the scientists are calling on the FDA and Congress to work together to regulate unnecessary use of antibiotics in animal agriculture.

In twin statements released on Wednesday, the scientists and farmers said that a growing body of research supported the conclusion that overuse of antibiotics in animal agriculture is fueling a health crisis. One statement cited a study which estimated that antibiotic-resistant infections cost $20bn annually to hospitals alone.

Donald Kennedy, former FDA commissioner and president emeritus at Stanford University, said: "There's no question that routinely administering non-therapeutic doses of antibiotics to food animals contributes to antibiotic resistance."
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 08:07 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500165_162-6197493.html

God what can you eat nowadays ??
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->

Check out the Wheat Belly book too. Wheat today has been modified so much that it is no longer the nutritious staple it was decades ago. http://www.naturalnews.com/036845_wh...in_gluten.html

I'm trying to stick to the MS (Multiple Sclerosis) Diet which calls for elimination of wheat gluten, yeast, soy, eggs, dairy and refined sugar. If I sneak a bit of wheat I get tingling in my left foot and hot flashes within minutes.

Come spring I hope my daughter and I can dig up and plant a garden for veggies and herbs. There are local farmers markets too, so we can get away from the grocery store selection.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->

Frightening isn't it - I found out about the plastic problem a few years ago and nobody believed me! It's a disgrace that governments know all this but allow it to continue without informing the general public of the health risks associated with it. I've also wondered if one of the reasons we don't 'age' as quickly as our forebears is the use of preservatives (in pretty much everything) - are we being preserved?

I also remember the report from the Department of Health that randomly tested carrots in various supermarkets and found that, on average, 7 pesticides were found on and in each carrot that was tested. Then the government of the day tells us that there are no known benefits to eating organic - hmmm ...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top