Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

13-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Re: Home alone or retirement village Joys!

Yes as some have already pointed out there is a vast difference between the traditional OPH and the modern retirement village - the former catering for the totally independent [with some amazing examples in other european countries besides UK] and the latter often notorious OPH were standards can be sometimes appalling.

I like the idea of the elderly all being together in one or several retirement villages were we can keep an eye on them [wink wink] rather than being dotted all over the place, hidden away getting up to mischief. A bit like a modern version of Butlins were everyone can have fun without causing havoc to the neighborhood!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 02:26 PM

O'h yes - sounds like 'Heaven' dont it...but a 'HELL' of a price to pay, altho I'm not up on retirement villages - just be sure theres not a 'sting in the tail' as there has been with retirement flats with a 'warden' fine, if you've plenty of dosh to waste and a loverly 'warden' .. you could be landed with a right bully !
I think a nice 'recommended' care home is money better spent, at least you know where you stand financially..
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

13-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
Yes as some have already pointed out there is a vast difference between the traditional OPH and the modern retirement village - the former catering for the totally independent [with some amazing examples in other european countries besides UK] and the latter often notorious OPH were standards can be sometimes appalling.

I like the idea of the elderly all being together in one or several retirement villages were we can keep an eye on them [wink wink] rather than being dotted all over the place, hidden away getting up to mischief. A bit like a modern version of Butlins were everyone can have fun without causing havoc to the neighborhood!
Butlins and similar places would be another of my ideas of hell! 'Hi Di Hi Campers!'
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 02:40 PM

I love my wife and family, but If for some reason I was left on my own, that is the way I would stay. I love my own company more than that of other people (other than wife and family of course) and would absolutely hate the idea of living in a retirement home or "village."
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Home alone or retirement village Joys
I have been home aloner since my son left home 10 years ago. I have retired since then .

I live in a small hamlet on a no through road and most of the world passes me by. I have no plans to change my current circumstances...
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have been home aloner since my son left home 10 years ago. I have retired since then .

I live in a small hamlet on a no through road and most of the world passes me by. I have no plans to change my current circumstances...
What would you do if you could no longer drive though Meg. Would you not feel isolated where you are.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 04:00 PM

I think these places do have rooms to hire for a trial run.

Everyone has different thoughts and needs, only thing is, if you are going to move it is better to do it before you get past it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 04:39 PM

If you find you dont like it - you're stuck, these flats sell very slowly 2nd time round and, very 'cheaply' - so like I said - you need plenty of money..
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 04:47 PM

When your in a small friendly village your never alone , here I have young people coming to natter while im working in the garden. neighbours who pop over or text to see if I need things from the shops and a number of young men to call on when some thing is too heavy or I need rubbish dumping even one with a tractor to help me in my field . I just need to go down the road to the cafe and tell her what I need and with in 2 days there is some one on my door step ready to do it.
In return I bake English cakes for them and pet sit when needed and help kids with English home work. ... Id hate to live in a place full off just old people or a place where people never talk to you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-03-2013, 04:49 PM

You've got it right Bags, if you live in a good community, stay there !
The grass aint always greener - take a good - long - look first...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top