Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Re: Kind to be cruel

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Besides better they have human quality foods than whatever they put in the commercial foods, hoof and bums and anything else they can mechanically recover.
Much of the meat, fish and poultry that isn't sold at supermarkets because it's out of date is often rinsed in bleach water to kill bacteria and it's then added to animal food chains.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
If you feed a good quality dog food it doesn't contain rubbish like that anyway. Dogs should not be fed solely on human food.
So if they were in the wild with no-one providing dog food, what would they eat?
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
So if they were in the wild with no-one providing dog food, what would they eat?
They aren't though are they they are domesticated animals now. A domesticated dog could not survive in the wild it would die. Cats are different as they are born hunters.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-03-2013, 02:38 PM

They aren't though are they they are domesticated animals now. A domesticated dog could not survive in the wild it would die. Cats are different as they are born hunters.
I think their survival instinct would kick in and they would survive. They might be domesticated but they are still, first and foremost, dogs that have not had their abilities reduced as far as we have.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Thats as maybe but I prefer to feed mine a good quality dog food plus some human food to give them a balanced diet. I certainly wouldn't want them to live off my leftovers.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 02:54 PM

I use beef, lamb and chicken, rice or potatoes and mixed vegetables, little egg too, make milk and cheese biscuits for crunch and calcium. What amongst that is bad for my dogs ? What is dog food if not all those things ?

Actually if the commercial foods aren't made of those things then why would you feed them to your dog ? Human quality just means the beef is good quality rather than mechanically recovered and stuff humans would not touch.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 02:56 PM

BTW my left overs today have been a little scrammbled egg, a little beef stew and will probably be a bit of mackeral later on. Not something many would turn their noses up at I think.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Thats as maybe but I prefer to feed mine a good quality dog food plus some human food to give them a balanced diet. I certainly wouldn't want them to live off my leftovers.
Depends on the left-overs! If I left a bit of steak and cabbage, my two would jump on it (and not necessarily restraining themselves that much before I'd actually decided to leave it!)
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Some of the more primitive breeds would survive easily. A Japanese Shiba Inu once did a runner from its owner in Battersea Park and lived there wild for 18 months before it was recaptured, hunting squirrels, birds, rats etc. When it was eventually caught it was in amazing condition - well-muscled, beautiful coat and happy as Larry. Our Huskies would have no problem surviving in the wild as they are natural predators and, like wolves, hunt in packs (They would miss their sofa though!)

We feed our dogs once a day, combining good quality kibble with raw chicken carcasses. Pups obviously get fed more often.

We get lots of extremely overweight Huskies in to our rescue. A fit male husky shouldn't weigh much more than 24/25 Kilos, but we have had several dogs weighing in at 38 kilos+. These dogs present a much greater problem than the underweight ones. It is relatively easy to build up a dog's weight, but very difficult to get then to lose weight safely. The most recent very fat dog we had in came in at 35kilos and, a year of fostering later, is now down to a healthy 25k.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 03:31 PM

My old dog who is 15 has eaten 2 small bowls of Iams or eukanbana all her life with tipbits and dog treats as and when I have wanted to given them to her . she is walked for between 3 to 7 hours aday. She has a small back problem which is controlled by pills and walking at the momnet she is fit but her back legs are starting to get weak and her appertite is going which has meant she has lost alot of weight ... at her age with the time she has left she now gets any thing she shows an interest in ...if thats my toast or hubbies biscuits then that is fine ..as I just want her to keep a bit of weight on as I hate to see her getting thin... The vet has checked her out to make sure there is no other reason and says she is in great form for a 15 year old and agrees let her have what she wants now as there will not be any long term affect as she has not long term......

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top