Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Re: Kind to be cruel

Originally Posted by MickB ->
raw chicken carcasses. Pups obviously get fed more often.
Can I ask a question Mick? I've heard of this before - giving raw meat/poultry to dogs; is there a specific reason for that?
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

14-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Dogs and cats are carnivores so giving them stuff which doesn't equate with their natural diet seems wrong to me!

I have heard of some idiots who feed their dogs and cats on veggies because they aren't meat eaters themselves, poor animals!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 04:17 PM

I never give Loki leftovers, or human food. Chocolate kills dogs. I will give her cooked chicken breasts but only half of one mashed up and put in with her kibble. She only gets half a cup of kibble mornings and evenings! She is 45.5 k but it is her meds that make her rather big - the vet says she is all muscle though
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Dogs do naturally eat greens in the wild ...but they do need both.
My dog will pinch carrots from the veg basket ,
I believe most dogs will not eat any thing thats too bad for them.... but again there are exceptions especially labs ...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

14-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Dogs do naturally eat greens in the wild ...but they do need both.
My dog will pinch carrots from the veg basket ,
I believe most dogs will not eat any thing thats too bad for them.... but again there are exceptions especially labs ...
I think dogs will eat anything on offer, like humans they eat what is bad for them too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Most wild dogs eat roots and greens too, if they relied only on meat they would starve sometimes. Also I doubt they turn downa meal saying no one a day is enough for me they would eat when they could.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Can I ask a question Mick? I've heard of this before - giving raw meat/poultry to dogs; is there a specific reason for that?
We feed either chicken carcasses or chicken wings. They are a very good source of both high quality protein and calcium. The bones in raw carcasses/wings are soft (more like gristle than bone) and can be easily munched and digested. Dogs aren't susceptible to the same kind of bacterial issues as humans would be with raw poultry and the calcium in the bones is excellent for both bone growth and digestion. Whenever someone has a dog with the squits, we always suggest giving them raw chicken wings as this usually clears up the problem within hours. People on this forum will remember the good old bad old days when (a) the streets were full of dog pooh; but (b) it was white, chalky and odourless. The reason for the latter phenomenon is that in our younger days, dogs were usually given bones and butchers scraps, which gave them lots of calcium, much of which was jettisoned as a chalky substance in their pooh.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 04:53 PM

I thought you shouldn't feed dogs chicken bones because they are too soft and can cause choking if they get stuck in the throat. I always bone chicken if I feed it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Only if cooked. Gosh don't tell me you don't know everything about feeding dogs !
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Only if cooked. Gosh don't tell me you don't know everything about feeding dogs !
Sarcasm doesn't become you Julie. I know all cooked bones are a no no for dogs but I have always believed that chicken bones are too small to be fed raw as well.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top