Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Warren Buffet Buys Burlington Railroad

OMG, someday we may have a decent railroad in this country. What a chance he is taking since he starting from nothing. What is the railraod like in your country?
http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2009...tts-big-rules/
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Re: Warren Buffet Buys Burlington Railroad

You have one of the best railway networks on the planet Joan, . . I stand in awe of your railroads, . . from sea to shining sea, . . ours is a disgrace, it's getting better though since Virgin came in.

This is one of your BIG BOYS, the locos who transported giant naval guns from east to west coasts during WW2.

Sadly they've all gone now save a few, CP runs one in Arizona using old car engine oil to fuel the steam engine.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 04:04 PM

OMG, if yours are worse than ours
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 04:09 PM

I saw a fascinating interview with Warren Buffet recently. What an interesting man and what a very human one. He maintains that, for 99.99% of us, what happens in our life and how successful we are is dependant on an accident of birth - a developed country and half-decent parents. He says that no matter what wherewithall one has inside, if born in a dirt poor family in rural Bangladesh it's 99.99% sure you won't be a success. So - the lucky people should look after the unlucky ones.
I found that very refreshing in a mega-rich capitalist; he has a heart as well as a brain

Sorry Buzzie - didn't answer your question.

Our railways were nationalised until ... err, 20 years ago maybe. They were starved of cash then, and further starved when sold off, during the Thatcher years I suppose.

They have received a ton of investment in the last 10 years or so and are improving greatly but the commuter trains into the major cities, particularly London, are overcrowded. The fares are pretty high.

I've been on Amtrak - Montreal to north NY State and back. Lovely carriages, plenty of space, genial buffet car attendants. Rotten service, pathetic timekeeping! (great scenery of course, along Lake Champlain)
A good way to enter the US though - far less threatening than the reception at the airports

Also a day commute from Albany to New York. Slick service (the commuters!), crowded, good buffet and on time!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks for that DM, . . it bears out my opinion of American railways.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
OMG, What is the railraod like in your country?
http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2009...tts-big-rules/

For me railway travel is free as are the buses and the Tube.

The trains are almost empty, 95% on time and very clean not like in the old days when State owned.
buzzie
USA

13-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
For me railway travel is free as are the buses and the Tube.

The trains are almost empty, 95% on time and very clean not like in the old days when State owned.
We have bus service that is $2 one way that comes right to the door and we can go anywhere in the county which is so nice.

It sounds like your trains are nice but a shame no one is using them. In our case there are very few routes offered. If you live in Chicago, you can find a couple nice trains that will take you to the west coast. We are hoping that some day we will have good commuter service right within our state of Ohio.
nero
Central Scotland

13-11-2009, 03:42 PM

In the UK we all have to thank Mr Beeching (another un-elected quango) for closing down thousands of miles of track in the 60's, . . he was just a vandal IMO.

Some of the finest scenery was lost all due to this half-witted sod, . . the line from Stirling up past Callander then on to Crianlarich was the finest in Britain, . . they even had an observation coach on the trains with a glass roof so tourists could marvel at bonnie Scotland.
This is what happens when Scotland is governed by sods who've never been north of Gretna.

The English lines were targeted too, . . . some are still operated by lovely people who care for our country but sod-face left for sunnier climes after he did the damage.

I hope he's stoking fires below.

PS : I did'nt like the guy.
nero
Central Scotland

13-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Some of the scenes viewable from the train, . . I'm standing on what used to be the track to Crianlarich at this point.

Just above the old track.

The track passed foot of this mountain.

Taken from a dis-used bridge on the same track.

We still have a line operated by volunteers in Bo'Ness.

buzzie
USA

13-11-2009, 04:22 PM

Denis, what absolutely gorgeous scenery we were able to see from those observation cars and those you posted are just lovely. My best friend and I got a high school graduation gift of a trip on the Burlington to Denver Colorado and it was something I will never forget. We had mountain trout with the head and all served on a plateand everything was so grand.

I'm in a hurry to go shopping but here are a few of the trains.
http://www.vistadome.com/vistadome/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top