Join for free
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Same Sex Marriages.

I'm not religious but I have a gut feeling that same sex marriages is wrong. To me marriage is a contract between a man and a woman, what do you think ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

I think I have been very lucky and had a long happy marriage and I would like to see others be able to experience that, it cannot be wrong to commit and celebrate love in what ever form that may be.

We either have and believe in equality for all (and I do) or we don't and we allow some people to be better than others (and that IMO would just be wrong).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 10:40 PM

I've never really understood why same sex couples want a certificate, I can see that many same sex couples are absolutely devoted, but just having a certificate don't mean you are any good, leave it, just rest on your laurals.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 11:04 PM

We're all human.

People should be able to marry their loved ones and be happy.

Gay couples who are in love with each other should not have to suffer.

Marriage is the ultimate relationship that a couple would seek and it is not right to deny this right to gay people.

The majority of gay people are hard working, honorable and deserve the same rights for their partners.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2013, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Michael ->
We're all human.

People should be able to marry their loved ones and be happy.

Gay couples who are in love with each other should not have to suffer.

Marriage is the ultimate relationship that a couple would seek and it is not right to deny this right to gay people.

The majority of gay people are hard working, honorable and deserve the same rights for their partners.
Don't dispute, but don't understand that if a couple, of same sex origins feel strongly for each other, why seek acceptance from the mainstream, and challenge mainstream conceptions. I thought Civil Partnerships offered legal standing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I've never really understood why same sex couples want a certificate, I can see that many same sex couples are absolutely devoted, but just having a certificate don't mean you are any good, leave it, just rest on your laurals.

The mistake you are making is viewing marriage as a purely religious union. It is not and never has been.

Marriage takes place for security, economic and social reasons. Gay people want marriage for these same reasons.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 01:15 AM

I don't think it makes any difference. If two people love each other, then why not commit, and why would any couple need a certificate, be they straight or gay. It's only a piece of paper after all.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I don't think it makes any difference. If two people love each other, then why not commit, and why would any couple need a certificate, be they straight or gay. It's only a piece of paper after all.

That is wrong, it is not just a piece of paper. It ensures, for example that in the event of a death the remaining partner is entitled to their partner's superannuation as a dependent and the tax benefits that brings. Without that 'bit of paper' they are just another beneficiary.

There are many other similar benefits from having that bit of paper.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-05-2013, 01:25 AM

it would be interesting to have some statistics of how many gay marriages take place in a church of choice, registry offices and by celibates in the park!

whilst I agree with Bruce in part, take travellers for example who I doubt use churches much for their marriage arrangements, I think there is something more than Bruce has suggested in why gay people want to get married
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is wrong, it is not just a piece of paper. It ensures, for example that in the event of a death the remaining partner is entitled to their partner's superannuation as a dependent and the tax benefits that brings. Without that 'bit of paper' they are just another beneficiary.

There are many other similar benefits from having that bit of paper.
Didn't the civil partnership address these issues?.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top