Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 10:09 PM

"A man's character is his destiny"

So said Heraclitus". Was he right?

Does birthplace or name define a person? Hair color, or height? Coordination? Intelligence? Personality? Are these things characteristics, or circumstances? When we look at such so-called characteristics, we soon see them as our personal environment rather than characteristics that we can claim to be our own. Ultimately, the sum of these characteristics is the sum of our environment: existence itself. All things are one. All that remains for the individual are one’s choices. One cannot expect to change anything, but one can choose to change anything.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 10:12 PM

Re: "A man's character is his destiny"

They could grow beards for instance, they'd become very popular then!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Thats a tough one Robert, one would have to give it one's complete concentration, and this one is falling asleep right now, I shall approach it tomorrow with a clear head and a cool pair of feet.
Maybe Heraclitus got it wrong could it not be "A Mans destiny is his character"? Take David Suchet, when he played the character of Poirot he never looked back, he was made for life, so his destiny was his character.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 08:21 AM

No, I am married to a twin, and they are very alike, but their lives have been very different, very different in deed.

Some things have been the same both oddly married Julies and both were milkmen. But there the similarities end.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->

So said Heraclitus". Was he right?

Does birthplace or name define a person? Hair color, or height? Coordination? Intelligence? Personality? Are these things characteristics, or circumstances? When we look at such so-called characteristics, we soon see them as our personal environment rather than characteristics that we can claim to be our own. Ultimately, the sum of these characteristics is the sum of our environment: existence itself. All things are one. All that remains for the individual are one’s choices. One cannot expect to change anything, but one can choose to change anything.
Interesting post Robert and food for thought.

I think birthplace and name are down to circumstance. Height, hair colour, co-ordination, intelligence, are our genetic inheritance and our personality is probably a blend of environment and circumstances with a some genetic inheritance thrown in. Although parts of our personality are innate, a lot of things associated with our personality (maybe including co-ordination and intelligence to some degree) can be moulded/modified/developed/influenced by upbringing, circumstances and other environmental factors and also the choices we make, or have made for us, as we grow. I also think that opportunity that comes along (how we use it/don't use it - and also whether or not we are taught to use opportunity and how we are taught) is relevant and plays an important role in defining our destiny.
Generally, I think our life is largely what we make of it and it is up to us to make the most of what we have and in that respect I think Heraclitus is right. Maybe that is what Heraclitis was meaning when he said "a man's character is his destiny" although I don't think we can deny that opportunity and the "hand of cards" we are dealt at birth (and how we subsequently use that hand of cards) matters greatly and will influence our fate or destiny - at least while we are alive. Ultimately, we all have a common destiny. Hope that makes sense.

By the way Heraclitus also said:-

"The character is not formed in a week or a month. It is created little by little, bit by bit. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good character".

and also

"Change alone is unchanging"
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Jem , I do hope my subject matter didn’t keep you awake & thanks for comments , However I don’t think your spin on the way of things computes when reversed.

Hercules Poiret, hmm. I don’t think fictional characters come into this, if I was to be pedantic.

Do you think it was FREUDIAN, when you were thinking about replying to this topic .

? Hercules v Heraclitus
Very similar, 7 letters the same.Heraclitus.
Or perhaps JUNgs school of thought influenced me concerning Heraclitus, odd name indeed, maybe it's an
anagram. Signing off shortly. I have'nt a clue what I'm talking about.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Do you mean 'Hercules' the strong man - didn't Delilah cut off his hair !!....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Do you mean 'Hercules' the strong man - didn't Delilah cut off his hair !!....
That was Samson, Pats
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

08-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Aerola, thank you for considered and thoughtful reply.

I tend to agree with all your points.

Life is not a game ruled by serendipity. I believe in the main we make our own "luck". Put in a different way.
"LUck is when preparation & training meet Opportunity.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

08-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That was Samson, Pats
Didnt you go to Sunday School PatCG luvvy?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top