Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 11:33 AM

1/5th of maternity budget on blunders !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-blunders.html

This is a shocking statistic.

What has gone wrong and what can we do to mend it ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Re: 1/5th of maternity budget on blunders !

I think this has a long history in the making of our current situation. Governments have repeatedly overworked and underpaid all members of the medical teams (nurses included) and that made it an not just an unattractive profession to go into but also an undesirable one. Young people will have looked at what was on offer jobwise - why would they choose and overly demanding employer that pays a pittance for no guaranteed days off when they can work elsewhere for better pay and guaranteed holidays? Is it any wonder we have such a shortage of people.

As usualy, bad management by various governments.

It can be mended by paying them what they are worth and treating them like human beings, then there will be enough to staff our hospitals.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=ben-varrey;374241]I think this has a long history in the making of our current situation. Governments have repeatedly overworked and underpaid all members of the medical teams (nurses included) and that made it an not just an unattractive profession to go into but also an undesirable one. Young people will have looked at what was on offer jobwise - why would they choose and overly demanding employer that pays a pittance for no guaranteed days off when they can work elsewhere for better pay and guaranteed holidays? Is it any wonder we have such a shortage of people.

As usualy, bad management by various governments.

It can be mended by paying them what they are worth and treating them like human beings, then there will be enough to staff our hospitals.[/QUOTE]

I should think many medical staff have become totally demoralised of late.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I should think many medical staff have become totally demoralised of late.
Think of the long hours and conditions they work in and with, it's not surprising really is it. Doctors (especially junior ones) having to work more than 24 hours straight and then surprises all round when they make a mistake.

If they can afford to put £500m to one side for law suits, wouldn't it be better to have more staff working fewer hours so that mistakes are reduced?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Perhaps these things don't matter to the politicians so much because no doubt those buggers can all afford to go private!
Don't suppose there have been many times they have been left to lay on a trolley in A & E waiting all night to be seen.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-11-2013, 02:23 PM

I think you have a good point there Mups. Bit like soaring energy prices and then we read yesterday how MPs have financial help with their heating bills
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:28 PM

I have always said politicians should be on NMW or the equivalent OAP pension, and have to use NHS and trains and buses etc if they did we might see a different sort of society
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have always said politicians should be on NMW or the equivalent OAP pension, and have to use NHS and trains and buses etc if they did we might see a different sort of society
How I would wish for that to happen!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-11-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I think you have a good point there Mups. Bit like soaring energy prices and then we read yesterday how MPs have financial help with their heating bills
Exactly BV, I've always said that. It all goes on expenses, so how can they have the faintest idea what its like for us lesser mortals.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Exactly BV, I've always said that. It all goes on expenses, so how can they have the faintest idea what its like for us lesser mortals.
I watch MPs on things like Question Time and you know what - I don't think they care one jot. I am convinced they see us as nothing more than hamsters on the commercial wheel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top