Join for free
Page 2 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Re: Trolls

Sugarbug makes a good point, in 'real life' people that bother you, you either ignore or walk away, I certainly do. So whats so different on a forum.

Audrey - other forums may be like that, certainly not here !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I can never for the life of me understand why some people join a forum simple to annoy others and upset them, and thats what they set out to do, but you have them everywhere. I think they are more to be pitied, it's a sad existence when the only pleasure you get from a forum is riling others up.
Have you noticed these people will always quote the rules?, they balance on the edge all the time and have it down to a fine art.
Completely ignoring them is the best I find.
To be honest Jem, I hadn't noticed but thinking back, you are absolutely 100% correct!

The truly galling thing is that I got to know this person quite well on Buzz and regarded this person as a friend so why this person's turned on me on MNC now I simply do not understand.

This person had a very sick relative and many of us on Buzz tried to add our support etcetera, me included, but then this person suddenly left Buzz for some reason that I never discovered.

I have contacted an administrator and she did agree that this person seemed hell-bent on being disruptive and rude but I then felt guilty about doing so!

This is one of the problems with trolls though isn't it - you try to ignore them and not get upset but you do anyway. stevmk2
ps. Sorry about all the 'this persons' but I would rather not say any more than that!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Not being of a disposition that tolerates being picked on in any way whatsoever I have been banned numerous times for retaliating to cyber bullies. I have seen a good forum ruined by these offensive idiots forming a clique, whereby you either share their views or are ostracised, and even the moderators are in on it now, either that or it is just me . Bloody forum is a shadow of it's former self.

To be honest I quite like confrontation as it gets me brain box working .

Bring it on

Oh I'm a WUM by the way but not a Troll ( I think ) and proud of it too .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Maybe this person had so much stress - they lost the plot ! I dont know - but if you get on with others, then you should move on from it, its up to the people that know you to show some support. I do it when someone gets a hard time that seems pointless, I speak up.
I have also spoken up when someones a right pain to me too .....
Reply to Steve ...
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 02:42 PM

The ignore option is very useful
Not only are the posts of the ignored person hidden (unless you choose to look) they are also unable to PM you
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:08 PM

In response to MKJ's post, what's the difference, in your honest opinion, between a Troll and a WUM?

According to Urban Dictionary, "a WUM refers to someone who posts on message boards and newsgroups with the intention to cause as much disruption as possible by goading others"

According to Wikipedia, "a Troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people"

What's IS the difference because to me it sounds very much the same! stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Both trolls and WUMs are rather sad people in my opinion. Why anyone should gain pleasure from upsetting their fellow man (or woman) is beyond my comprehension.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
In response to MKJ's post, what's the difference, in your honest opinion, between a Troll and a WUM?

According to Urban Dictionary, "a WUM refers to someone who posts on message boards and newsgroups with the intention to cause as much disruption as possible by goading others"

According to Wikipedia, "a Troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people"

What's IS the difference because to me it sounds very much the same! stevmk2
There is a difference apparently. A WUM is a 'wind up merchant' hence the abbreviation. WUM's can be considered an asset I think on some forums if they are of a certain disposition and are not too 'wumish', as they tend to keep a conversation going as long as possible. I think a lot of 'wums' are leg pullers, though there is nearly always a double meaning to their posts making their replies intriguing yet in some cases borderline offensive, goading you to keep replying. 'Trolls', on the other hand, go out of their way to be offensive and generally the threads they make are for the sole purpose of upsetting people.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
There is a difference apparently. A WUM is a 'wind up merchant' hence the abbreviation. WUM's can be considered an asset I think on some forums if they are of a certain disposition and are not too 'wumish', as they tend to keep a conversation going as long as possible. I think a lot of 'wums' are leg pullers, though there is nearly always a double meaning to their posts making their replies intriguing yet in some cases borderline offensive, goading you to keep replying. 'Trolls', on the other hand, go out of their way to be offensive and generally the threads they make are for the sole purpose of upsetting people.
I agree MKJ, some WUMs are an asset, depending on the angle they are coming from.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Steve i agree with Eliza...this person probably has not much say in what goes on in his family life...so he comes onto a forum where nobody knows him and where he can do and say what he ...or she....can't do at home...and the best way to treat bullies..is to ignore them...don't take the bait Steve.....

Page 2 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top