Join for free
Page 2 of 70 < 1 2 3 4 12 52 > Last »
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 08:14 PM

Re: Gay marriage

No, I wouldn't call them perverts either. Paedophiles are - yes, but not homosexual folk.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 08:35 PM

I agree that remark was uncalled for!

Personally I don't agree with this marriage thing. I have straight friends on FB who are almost wetting themselves with the excitement! I just cannot understand the fuss. I certainly wouldn't go on to a social media site and shout out, oh what a wonderful England we're waking up to now that marriage is open to everyone.

Oh purleeze! Is it really that important to you? And why?

And before you ask, I have gay friends.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Nothing against homosexuals but, in my book, marriage is between a man and a woman.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 09:02 PM

I'm old fashioned as I'm always saying, it took me years to get used to open homosexuality, all this is coming a bit too quickly for me to digest, nothing against two people who love each no matter what sex living together, fair enough each to his own. Why would they want to get married anyway, are they not content living together without fear of harassment from anyone else?, spend the rest of their days in peace living as they choose to live-together. They are protected by the law now so why get married? isn't the whole idea of marriage to protect the safety of growing children, either natural or adopted? I don't understand it to tell you the truth, confuses me.
But as Twiz says, why should only straight folks suffer, we're all in it together as the man says.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 09:05 PM

Marriage is a partnership isn't it ? a ritual ? a union between 2 people ?

So what if they're of the same sex ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
I just don't see what they have to gain by being 'married' as opposed to just living together. At least if things don't work out they can just go their separate ways instead of having to divorce (I expect they would have to legally divorce).
Couple of reasons come to mind one being pension rights as civil couples they don't have same rights as marrieds do so this puts that right. And why not why should two people who love each other be denied a marriage ?

We are going to our first gay marriage later this year and it's going to be in our church so really looking forward to that, very proud of the Quaker church for embracing this and hope other churches will in time see how people are just people and who they love doesn't really matter if they are same sex or opposites.

Sue's comment is offensive and unnecessary sometimes silence is best if you can't be nice about people.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Couple of reasons come to mind one being pension rights as civil couples they don't have same rights as marrieds do so this puts that right. And why not why should two people who love each other be denied a marriage ?

We are going to our first gay marriage later this year and it's going to be in our church so really looking forward to that, very proud of the Quaker church for embracing this and hope other churches will in time see how people are just people and who they love doesn't really matter if they are same sex or opposites.

Sue's comment is offensive and unnecessary sometimes silence is best if you can't be nice about people.
If you are right about pension rights then fair enough. I had understood that civil partnership conveyed all the legal benefits of marriage so have wondered why marriage has been fought for.
I was pleased when civil partnership came in, as I think it should be possible for any couple to have the same legal rights as any other. Interesting, though, that I know a number of gay couples who are not particularly pro marriage.

And Sue is just trolling - don't feed the troll!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
If you are right about pension rights then fair enough. I had understood that civil partnership conveyed all the legal benefits of marriage so have wondered why marriage has been fought for.
I was pleased when civil partnership came in, as I think it should be possible for any couple to have the same legal rights as any other. Interesting, though, that I know a number of gay couples who are not particularly pro marriage.

And Sue is just trolling - don't feed the troll!
They do get equal rights but only on policies after 2005 I believe is the date any thing before that they don't, marriage would mean all pensions would be treated the same.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:44 PM

There has never been a better case for a couple of buckets of cold water.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2014, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They do get equal rights but only on policies after 2005 I believe is the date any thing before that they don't, marriage would mean all pensions would be treated the same.
Ok, fair enough. Though I would have thought it would have been easier to change the rights in civil partnerships rather than change the name to marriage! How silly that some people just have to jump through hoops and get married just for pension rights. Why didn't they just call it marriage in the first place rather than civil partnership I wonder?

Page 2 of 70 < 1 2 3 4 12 52 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top