Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 12:37 PM

'NEWS' Korean Ferry Disaster

Another unbelievable tragedy. To me, the captain was far too complacent and should have taken the proper procedure immediately and not waited. Telling people to stay where they were, for over an hour and then - only using 2 of the lifeboats ! (There were 46)
A tragedy that could have been avoided or at least lessened ......
The poor families, going through this heartache and turmoil ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Re: 'NEWS' Korean Ferry Disaster

It sounds dreadful Patsy and so many children involved too.

I don't think I could sit and wait in those circumstances, I would want to take my chance and jump.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 01:39 PM

I was just reading a teacher who was saved has hung himself unable to live with the thought his pupils have died
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 03:16 PM

From what I last saw early today, the Third Officer was on the bridge at the time of the 'incident'.

From what I remember, the 3rd Officer is in fact the 3rd Mate and is supposed to be supervised by a Senior Officer during your watch - often the 8 - 12 watch which is the quietest.

Where the Captain was at that time had not come out, nor has anything further regarding passenger information as of the last time I looked on the TV.

It seems the ship was listing fairly early on but criticism has been noted regarding deployment of life boats?

If, as I suspect, the cargo shifted due to a sudden manoeuvre and the ship listed almost immediately after, the available lifeboats that could have been launched instantly halved because the weight is all on one side.

The degree of list would also affect the launch of the lifeboats.

Likewise any mass passenger movements below decks would also impinge on the vessel's integrity, possibly causing further listing.

This could explain the instruction for passenger to remain where they were - lack of direction from a Senior officer?

It's the Captain's job to make the decisions in this case or at least the 1st Officer.

What I don't really understand is the animosity towards those trying to help nor the televised pleadings to find survivors when chances are it's going to be bodies only? stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 03:19 PM

The reason I used the word complacent is because of the initial time wasted, it 'seems' the Captain did not realise just how serious the situation was. So initially, was the time to organise the life boats and not take the chance.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I was just reading a teacher who was saved has hung himself unable to live with the thought his pupils have died
Julie - that is so sad
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Watching some footage on Sky News I was very concerned by the exhausted look of the divers at the wreck site.

I've seen dead divers and I'd rather not see them broadcast on Sky News.

Surely someone should have spoken up some time back and pointed out that, no matter who or what was to blame, the chances of finding survivors went out the window some time ago?

It's like the missing aircraft again with relatives demanding the return of their loved ones.

Is it mass hysteria - or what?

Yes, of course I feel sorry for them but they needed to face up to reality hours and hours ago.stevmk2
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The reason I used the word complacent is because of the initial time wasted, it 'seems' the Captain did not realise just how serious the situation was. So initially, was the time to organise the life boats and not take the chance.
How I understand it, the captain knew the problems in that area, with the strong currents he held everything up till shipping were in close to rescue, which suggests to me he was in control of the situation, which is now proving to be a bad decision.
No one could have foreseen it was going to sink so fast after it heeled over.
My guess is also the vehicles in the hold were not secured properly, causing them to move.
The whole disaster was a tragedy, and just shouldn't have happened, I personally think that these ferries and cruise ships have far too much above deck level, they are like floating hotels.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 05:05 PM

Dozens of these ferries sink every year..with 100's of people dying each time..I think they ram these ferries full to sinking..and then set off..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-04-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
How I understand it, the captain knew the problems in that area, with the strong currents he held everything up till shipping were in close to rescue, which suggests to me he was in control of the situation, which is now proving to be a bad decision.
No one could have foreseen it was going to sink so fast after it heeled over.
My guess is also the vehicles in the hold were not secured properly, causing them to move.
The whole disaster was a tragedy, and just shouldn't have happened, I personally think that these ferries and cruise ships have far too much above deck level, they are like floating hotels.
Yes - heard this yesterday.
I agree with Lilac, as this ferry does this journey twice a day for years, complacency is a fact, they let their guard down, then panic when such as this arises.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top