Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Re: 'NEWS' Korean Ferry Disaster

Originally Posted by lilac ->
Dozens of these ferries sink every year..with 100's of people dying each time..I think they ram these ferries full to sinking..and then set off..

International shipping rules mean that this is no longer possible. Ever heard of Samuel Plimpsoll??? - know what a Plimpsoll line is??? - No ship is allowed to leave port (and that includes Korean ferries) if it too full and filled above the Plimpsoll line.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 08:34 AM

Sadly not everyone follows the laws and rules. My Pakistani friends tell me horrors of over crowded trains and boats, some can hardly move they are so weighed down. People fall off because they are just clinging to the sides. Cheap though because if you can cling to the side it's free to travel.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sadly not everyone follows the laws and rules. My Pakistani friends tell me horrors of over crowded trains and boats, some can hardly move they are so weighed down. People fall off because they are just clinging to the sides. Cheap though because if you can cling to the side it's free to travel.

Julie that may be true on trains, I too have travelled in Indian Railway, but ships sailing out into 'open' water are strictly limited to what or how many they can carry. Providing they are adequately policed by Port authorities, then they cannot be overloaded to the extent of making them unstable. . The problem comes in the 'policing' of the rules at Harbours and ports.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 09:02 AM

And yet we see boats full of people fleeing regimes sinking killing hundreds every year. For every rule sadly there is a rule breaker willing to put people in danger.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Yep - plenty of rule breakers out there
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
International shipping rules mean that this is no longer possible. Ever heard of Samuel Plimpsoll??? - know what a Plimpsoll line is??? - No ship is allowed to leave port (and that includes Korean ferries) if it too full and filled above the Plimpsoll line.
Not the main problem. This ship had an extra 3 decks added to the stern superstructure in October 2012 adding another 239 tons to the top hamper. Wonder what that did to the metacentric height ? Nothing to do with the plimsoll line, that would have been re-painted after the work. Ship was safety checked in Feb 2014 but this would not have extended to the stability geometry. It is reported the ship made a sudden turn before the capsize for reasons unknown . This manoeuvre has been verified by radar records and the suspicion is it caused cargo on the car decks to shift.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 10:25 PM

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/27/wo...130aVodtoplink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top