Join for free
Page 2 of 46 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Re: Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

Originally Posted by manasota ->
The furore about the Birmingham schools is just more evidence - if anymore was needed - that faith schools are a divisive issue. As a tax payer, I really resent public money being spent on promoting religion. Not because I am an atheist - which I am - but because anything which helps to sow division rather than understanding is fundamentally wrong. And anything that is anti-science and anti-rational thinking is dangerous. Adults can choose whatever they believe, but its not the state's place to encourage 'faith'.

I've never understood why we have to subsidise Catholic and CofE education, so its no wonder every other faith wants its share of the pie. The simple answer is to scrap the lot; religion should be entirely separate from the state.

I have no problem with comparative religion being taught so kids understand the issues and why its played such a huge role in history. But to have religion influence every aspect of education is plain wrong, and is a storing up endless problems in people's later lives.

It worries me that all our politicians continue to adopt such a cowardly approach to religion.
Absolutely right. Religion has no place in schools.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->

I've never understood why we have to subsidise Catholic and CofE education, so its no wonder every other faith wants its share of the pie. The simple answer is to scrap the lot; religion should be entirely separate from the state.

Hard to do when you have a religion as an integral part of your state, indeed isn't your head of state Defender of the Faith?

You could always go back to burning the heretics at the stake

I have no problem with comparative religion being taught so kids understand the issues and why its played such a huge role in history. But to have religion influence every aspect of education is plain wrong, and is a storing up endless problems in people's later lives.
I agree but again the reality is that religion is an integral part of the state apparatus.
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Hard to do when you have a religion as an integral part of your state, indeed isn't your head of state Defender of the Faith?

You could always go back to burning the heretics at the stake

I agree but again the reality is that religion is an integral part of the state apparatus.
That's what it is, we know. But it doesn't have to be. People need to speak up for a change.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 08:24 AM

We had faith schools in our day, there was no problem then.
I believe this is more about Islamaphobia than anything else.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I think the reason is because we just had a religious lesson, more like a history lesson. That was it. It didn't venture to other things, not in my schools anyway .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Not really when I think back we had religious assemblies etc that as an atheist I didn't want to be part of and the Jews and Mormons were excluded from. It wasn't comfortable for anyone who wasn't a mainstream Christian.
This is made worse by Islam being taught badly, no Muslim needs lessons on Jihad and how to fight a holy war certainly not in school. My nephews Imam is a peaceful chap he touches on those subjects as not something his congregation should be involved in as the people waging this war are dangerous uneducated people. The schools seemed to be trotting it out as necessary and normal.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Yes - that 'is' the problem here.
Apparently, the whole mess was reported in 2010 and was ignored by Gove instead of again 'nipping it in the bud'
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 10:42 AM

No, we had a problem before Islam came along. Catholic schools were - maybe still are - an extension of the church, and the priest was/is a big figure in day to day school life. Catholics were discouraged from having relationships outside the faith, and did/still do take a very reactionary line on contraception and abortion.

I don't think its about Islamophobia. Its about the need for secular education in what is a secular society. Religion - if it has any place at all in modern life - certainly doesn't belong in our schools where it is a divisive influence, and open to abuse. A religious influence that advocates gender separation, and the diminution of anyone else who is not part of that faith cannot be acceptable.

Its mostly about the children of this country having equal rights to be educated, free of dogma and fear. You only had to see some of the interviews of kids at the Brum schools to see how they were afraid to say what they really felt, and when one boy did, his schoolfriends looked at him in a way that said they were wishing he hadn't.

Get rid of faith schools paid for by the state in their entirety - its the logical, progressive step.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Yes - I noticed the boys outside the school and your observation is spot on !
Griffon
Middle England
Griffon is male 

10-06-2014, 01:38 PM

I think allowing faith schools (or other types of school) is an inherent part of a liberal (small L) society and something I completely approve of. I also see such liberties as being fundamentally British. I also feel we should insist all children are introduced to British values irrespective of the type of school they attend. I don't want us to implement some version of secular totalitarianism, like the French have for example. I think such a society is as intolerant as the problem we may feel exists in Birmingham.

Page 2 of 46 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top