Join for free
Page 3 of 46 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 01:46 PM

Re: Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

Originally Posted by Griffon ->
I think allowing faith schools (or other types of school) is an inherent part of a liberal (small L) society and something I completely approve of. I also see such liberties as being fundamentally British. I also feel we should insist all children are introduced to British values irrespective of the type of school they attend. I don't want us to implement some version of secular totalitarianism, like the French have for example. I think such a society is as intolerant as the problem we may feel exists in Birmingham.
I think it really shows a failure in the state school system, people clamour to get children into Faith schools for a better education, we should have the best for all children not just pockets of good schools and bad schools.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 02:36 PM

I think allowing faith schools (or other types of school) is an inherent part of a liberal (small L) society and something I completely approve of. I also see such liberties as being fundamentally British. I also feel we should insist all children are introduced to British values irrespective of the type of school they attend. I don't want us to implement some version of secular totalitarianism, like the French have for example. I think such a society is as intolerant as the problem we may feel exists in Birmingham.
I think if people want faith school they should be privately funded. State funded schools using taxpayers money should be secular and for all who wish to attend any faith or none.

'British values' to me are all about tolerance and fair mindedness not segregation according to some outdated religion .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think if people want faith school they should be privately funded. State funded schools using taxpayers money should be secular and for all who wish to attend any faith or none.

'British values' to me are all about tolerance and fair mindedness not segregation according to some outdated religion .
Couldn't agree more, they should all be equal too, making sure all pupils get the same advantages.
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 03:42 PM

But why should the state pay for them? That is my point. I'm not such an authoritarian that I want to stop people having them if THEY want them, and are prepared to put their money where their mouth is. But not MY money. And in my view, the state HAS to position itself as secular ie. of no faith at all, just promoting knowledge and understanding.
Your version of liberalism seems to be about allowing anything regardless.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 04:56 PM

We do pay for all schooling, just because we don't agree with religion shouldn't make our children to make up their own mind like we have.
I went to Sunday school on a regular basis, and it wasn't till about 45 years ago that I made up my mind.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
The furore about the Birmingham schools is just more evidence - if anymore was needed - that faith schools are a divisive issue.
Just would like point out the fact that the schools under investigation in Birmingham are State schools and not Faith ones.
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Just would like point out the fact that the schools under investigation in Birmingham are State schools and not Faith ones.
In name only. The fact is that the governors have tried to turn them into faith schools, and used public money to pursue their agenda. That is why there is a furore - if they were officially faith schools like Gove and Co. have promoted, they would not be bothered.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 05:56 PM

The thing that should be taught in any school is that all religions are born out of nothing more than superstition and ignorance, and that they have no place in the modern world.

All religions are just brainwashing on a global scale, and should be outlawed completely in a supposedly enlightened society because it does nothing but divide nations and subjigate the individual....
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The thing that should be taught in any school is that all religions are born out of nothing more than superstition and ignorance, and that they have no place in the modern world.

All religions are just brainwashing on a global scale, and should be outlawed completely in a supposedly enlightened society because it does nothing but divide nations and subjigate the individual....
Agreed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->

I agree Barry but not likely to happen.
There are too many people in positions of power who subscribe to religion of one sort or another .

Page 3 of 46 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top