Join for free
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Does the internet facilitate unpleasant behaviour?

Some recent news stories started me thinking about how the internet is seemingly increasingly used to 'behave badly'. Hackers, trolls, WUMs of today seem to form a large proportion of those who previously would simply have been called bullies. They can say what they like from the comfort of their homes and target their victims on their screens. Bullies of the past had to put a bit more effort in to get their 'desired' result, so it seems that the internet simply makes their lives easier.
I wish there were a more effective way of dealing with this downside of the internet.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 03:44 PM

Re: Does the internet facilitate unpleasant behaviour?

Yes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 03:50 PM

These people have always been there, bullying at work or in schools, behaving badly wherever they go with no hint of manners . I think we may be more aware of them now because their activities are less insidious and touch a larger number of us because of the internet.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 03:56 PM

While you are right there have always been these people I think the anonymity of the internet means they know there will be no come back so they say what they want with no worries. Imagine some of the things said here in the past being said in real life the WUM would have a flattened nose in no time but with none of us knowing them they get away with it.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->

Yes.
And a thousand times yes.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
While you are right there have always been these people I think the anonymity of the internet means they know there will be no come back so they say what they want with no worries. Imagine some of the things said here in the past being said in real life the WUM would have a flattened nose in no time but with none of us knowing them they get away with it.
Excellent post, Julie, I completely agree.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 04:22 PM

I agree OU and we have seen evidence of that on this site. As I have said before, don't say anything on here that you wouldn't say in front of your children or your parents.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 04:22 PM

I hate to hear about bullying and yes the internet is full of it
I refused to get a laptop because of this, I hated the internet having heard all the vile stories, then Hubs got one and I found we could choose and 'find' good things out there.
I wished so hard something would be done about it all, and it seems things are in motion now but a long time coming - too long !
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

17-11-2014, 05:22 PM

I had a stalker on another forum, it was most unpleasant when he threatened to visit one of my children!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Some recent news stories started me thinking about how the internet is seemingly increasingly used to 'behave badly'. Hackers, trolls, WUMs of today seem to form a large proportion of those who previously would simply have been called bullies. They can say what they like from the comfort of their homes and target their victims on their screens. Bullies of the past had to put a bit more effort in to get their 'desired' result, so it seems that the internet simply makes their lives easier.
I wish there were a more effective way of dealing with this downside of the internet.
Although I agree with this, I do think, in general, some things seem to have deteriorated and many people get away with far more today - no surprise then that it happens on the internet.

Some folks can be very brave behind a screen and in the comfort of their armchairs, I suppose many of these wouldn't bother if they had to make more of an effort!!!
It must be very difficult to police.

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top