Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Travel sickness

My 8year old granddaughter suffers badly with travel sickness, she only has to be in a car for 15 minutes when she starts to feel queasy She is the same with rail travel.

She takes travel sickness tablets and wears the wrist bands before setting out on a journey but they don't seem to help her.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice that may help her?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2009, 02:45 PM

Re: Travel sickness

Poor thing - I feel for her; I was just the same as a child and am not a whole lot better now in some situations, such as coach travel or the back seat of a car.
The 'sea bands' are a help, so might nibbling a ginger biscuit or crystalised ginger, or drinking ginger ale. Otherwise, sitting in the front seat of the car, looking forward only, is all I can suggest. That means relegating her mum to the back and preventing her brother (who will think it's his by right at some point) from taking the seat by his dad.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2009, 03:33 PM

She does sit in the front seat and has her current favourite Michael Jackson CD blaring out to help take her mind off the travelling. We haven't tried the ginger associated food/drink with her though, thanks DM, I'll suggest that to her mum.

I don't think her having the front seat will bother her little brother alot as he would rather sit in the back watching a DVD!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Poor thing - I feel for her; I was just the same as a child and am not a whole lot better now in some situations, such as coach travel or the back seat of a car.
The 'sea bands' are a help, so might nibbling a ginger biscuit or crystalised ginger, or drinking ginger ale. Otherwise, sitting in the front seat of the car, looking forward only, is all I can suggest. That means relegating her mum to the back and preventing her brother (who will think it's his by right at some point) from taking the seat by his dad.
Ginger has been used by the Chinese as a sickness prevention for hundreds of years and it works for any kind of sickness including morning sickness.

It is now possible to buy ginger capsules from health food shops ,
My personal preferences for anyone who likes the taste of ginger is 'Rocks' or 'Belvour' organic ginger cordial (also from most health food shops and Waitrose ) . I have given it to travesick girls in my care for many years.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Do boiled sweets work at all Mags? (I'd guess like pear drops)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

16-08-2009, 06:19 PM

I have tried her with barley sugar sweets Azz but I'm afraid she has still felt sickly with them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

16-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ginger has been used by the Chinese as a sickness prevention for hundreds of years and it works for any kind of sickness including morning sickness.

It is now possible to buy ginger capsules from health food shops ,
My personal preferences for anyone who likes the taste of ginger is 'Rocks' or 'Belvour' organic ginger cordial (also from most health food shops and Waitrose ) . I have given it to travesick girls in my care for many years.
That's interesting about ginger capsules and especially the 'Rocks" or 'Belvour' organic ginger cordial........ thanks for those suggestions Meg.

Katie's mum can't stand the taste or smell of ginger ever since she had to take it whilst pregnant but I'll tell her she'll have to overcome her dislike of it for her daughter's sake!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2009, 06:40 PM

How about lavender oil? That will make her feel zzzzzzzsleepy

I used to use that before going to work - just to make me feel all chilled out
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

16-08-2009, 06:42 PM

It's worth a try, it's supposed to be relaxing isn't it ......thanks Azz
Lou
UK
Lou is female  Lou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Hope you find something to help with your Grand Daughters travel sickness x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top