Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 02:10 PM

Re: Charity Harassment!

this very sad of this oap lives to 92 then kills herself ;nothing sadder in my book ,yes u have to be on the ball with them 'i give to the wwf run by virginia Mckeena -born free foundation ..wonderful work gets done to the survival of animal especially on the cruelty side of unwanted big cats from circus 's-i give when i can never am i pested ....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 02:51 PM

I regularly give to Oxfam but I was a bit annoyed last week when on 3 consecutive days they sent me an email then a letter and finally a phone call appealing for a donation for Nepal when only a week earlier I had given them £25.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Poppy collector Olive Cooke 'exhausted by charity requests'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-32748923
It really is despicable that a person should be harassed in such a manner. So bad that she couldn't use the phone, or wouldn't. Once you 'give' and take out a direct debit you run the risk of your details being passed on to others. DON'T DO IT!
This has happened to my MIL.

We found that she had inadvertently signed-off about £110 per MONTH to charities!

They send out these begging letters that imply that it's a one-off donation but it's worded in such a way that the elderly misunderstand!

Bastards is my word for them and don't care what anyone thinks!

To see some of the letters they send makes you feel so bloody angry!

Some of them should know bloody better but obviously don't give a s**t these days, like Childline, headed-up by that saint Esther effin' Rantzen or those litigation experts RSPB.
Balls to the lot of 'em! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 03:44 PM

Now get off that fence steve
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Now get off that fence steve
Sorry Jules - I get so bloody angry.

My MIL is 92 for God's sake! stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 05:21 PM

So terribly sad. That's greedy charities for you. Give them an inch and they take a mile. Rest in peace dear Olive xx
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 07:15 PM

Yep charities have become a bit of a joke. It is all Big Business now little more. The CEOs of these companies are pulling huge salaries.

Fools and their money are swiftly parted. Naivety and good nature are weaknesses to be exploited.

I would happily help anyone in genuine need but I won't do it in the form of banking debits and subscriptions and I won't do it through charity companies. I take life as it comes and when I meet someone in need, overcome with debts, needing a leg up, needing help furnishing a house/flat etc I do what I can, 1-1, personal.

The city/town streets are full of Chuggers (Charity Muggers). Students with zero morals out for a quick buck to collect your personal details for commissions. They know your details will be sold to all and sundry but they don't care. Lately they have taken to call calling on the doorstep. Oxfam for one, and others I've never heard of that apparently do great deeds to protect vulnerable women etc.

Like all cold callers they have a scripted spiel to trot out rather than engage in any meaningful discussion. I asked one if they could give me their website and I promised I would take a look. They couldn't even give me the website name. The Oxfam chugger looked convincing and the more naïve would probably think him sincere, but I knew his game. He was desperate for me to sign up to a regular donation there and then. Instead I PROMISED him that I would go and look at the website and consider a donation if I felt it appropriate. His face fell. You'd think he would be pleased because I was promising to check out Oxfam but no. He wasn't going to get his commission obviously.

When I checked out one of these charity websites via Google (not Oxfam) there were plenty of hits of alarming news articles highlighting that the CEO has been criticised for taking mega salary from the charity.

The industry needs a total cleanup and revamp. Currently I have a mistrust of them all so won't give my hard-earned down an internet line to someone I can't see. I appreciate that raises the issue of what should we do about foreign disasters like Nepal. Haven't worked that out. Charity is only on a 1-1 basis for me for now.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 07:28 PM

Great post Realist, it's high time the whole trick was exposed to the public for what it really is, I've been saying it for years now, it makes me so angry, God rest that poor Lady.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 07:41 PM

I also dislike the unsolicited packages of christmas cards /gift tags/ pens I get along with requests for donations. I feel I am being 'blackmailed ' into giving with no idea if the recipients of the 'good cause' receive any benefit from donations.

I now put them in an envelope and send them back to the sender without a stamp with a note to remove me from their mailing list but they still keep coming.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 10:18 PM

I stopped supporting overseas charities a while back.. I only give to local charities such our our local food bank run by unpaid workers, our salvation army drop in and our local church who collect old paper and use it to fund a womens refuge.

Then there is the bird sanctury and the local dog and cat rescue who get 1 donation each per year and never ask for more.

Anything put through my door is kept or binned returning such things only proves they have a live mailing address.
Another con recently received was a so called survey about pets..On closer inspection it was from PETA and was a crafty way to get you to sign up to their mailing list.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top