Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 08:53 PM

Re: Charity Harassment!

I made a list of all the charities that got named in various news articles concerning that poor lady, and none of them will ever get a penny off me. Sadly, one of the organisations pestering for donations was a charity I have devoted time and money to over the last 5 or 6 years, so I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to do about it. I've made some good friends there and had many a laugh and I'd hate to give it up, but that poor, poor lady...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:28 PM

Some of the problem is who they get to do their fund raising some charities seem unaware of what is being done in their names. If you believe a charity is helping and hasn't done anything to you personally I think I would ask them what it's all about and then make a decision. It would be sad to no longer help them if they were unaware what was being done in their name.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:35 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...an-100000.html

"Some of the executives were paid more than the Prime Minister’s £142,500 a year in 2013,"

"Sir Nick Young, the chief executive of the British Red Cross, saw his pay jump by 12 per cent to £184,000 since 2010"

"Justin Forsyth, chief executive of Save the Children . . .received £163,000 last year, just less than Anabel Hoult, its chief operating officer, who was paid £168,653"

"Chris Bain, the director of Catholic aid charity Cafod, saw his pay jump by nine per cent between 2010 and 2012, from £80,000 a year to £87,000"

"Richard Miller, director at ActionAid, saw his pay increase by eight per cent to nearly £89,000 a year"

"Loretta Minghella (the top paid executive at Christian Aid) was paid £126,072"

"At Oxfam, former chief executive Dame Barbara Stocking saw her pay rise over the three years, while revenues fell but donations increased"
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Some of the problem is who they get to do their fund raising some charities seem unaware of what is being done in their names. If you believe a charity is helping and hasn't done anything to you personally I think I would ask them what it's all about and then make a decision. It would be sad to no longer help them if they were unaware what was being done in their name.
Well said, but I can't bring myself to believe that they would be unaware of what is being done in their name. They all buy lists off each other and will know why it's being done.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Well said, but I can't bring myself to believe that they would be unaware of what is being done in their name. They all buy lists off each other and will know why it's being done.
Not necessarily I used to give to one charity and then started getting lots of calls and letters from a company doing surveys they got very nasty because I refused to cooperate, when I insisted they told me where they got my address they said the charity I was supporting so I contacted them. They had been approached by a company who said they used ethical ways to fund raise and promised to raise a lot of money for them I really did believe the poor woman I spoke to she had no idea what she had signed up to at all.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 11:36 AM

Do what I do if they ask for money on the street , I say smometimes yes please holding my hand out , saying give us a fiver I skint
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 11:58 AM

The sad thing is that a backlash against all charities will mean that the good work which IS being done will now be put on hold for lack of donations.

I personally have no problem giving to the established charities, I want to see their work with children and animals who are victims of poverty and cruelty continue.

I'm not going to this story tragic as it is colour my perceptions entirely.

Part of the problem with this lady was that she never said no, never said I'm supporting this charity and that's all I can do. She wanted to give to every charity and couldn't say no to anyone.
She got awards and they meant the world to her, she would talk on the phone to charities for long periods of time promising money instead of saying no.

It snowballed out of control, giving became what her life was all about.

The vast majority dont get into this position. I agree that charities need a rethink and especially to redress the techniques they are using, which are becoming similar to sales techniques but I worry for those who rely so heavily on the major charities and the work they do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Interesting perception on it Anita some I agree with some I am not so sure about. I don't think we should assume everyone can say no, so we have to protect them IMO and really a lady of 92 should not be harassed by anyone they must have known her age and I am sure wouldn't want their own family members contacted at that age.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 12:42 PM

Oh yes as I said in my post the tactics need rethinking, however this poor lady kept promising them money even when she had none, her family couldn't stop her so they would ring back, and of course they didn't know about all the other ones that were also ringing.
I do agree about protecting the vulnerable, I also don't want to see those who need our help suffer even more through lack of support for charities.
If all aid was cut off overnight we would see a huge increase in homeless animals, cruelty not dealt with, the already massive problem of child abuse going unnoticed etc.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 01:42 PM

I heard this morning that the new proposed laws on extremism also include clauses about charities that go OTT in their habits of collecting.

It might be a start if they didnt sell or share address information ..Second step would be to pay the ceo's less and give that money to their cause.

Once your name is out there and they know you give the list is endless so thats why I never respond or send back anything charities send out.. They soon realise this is a dead end and if Im unlucky I might get 1 or 2 a year..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top