Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 08:45 PM

Pampered people

Not pampered pets. Pampered people. I've been watching 24 Hours in the Past. Plus have gained some other knowledge of living in even Victorian times. What a pampered lot we are these days. So exceptionally fortunate from so many angles. Washing, eating, cooking, working, ablutions - the list goes on. Do we appreciate it though? I thought I did, but this makes me appreciate it even more. We mump and moan about trivialities. Why? Because so much in our lives we worry about these days are trivial.

The programme itself has really brought it home. Okay - i love my life and will keep doing so, but oh my goodness, I'm so bloody lucky.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Re: Pampered people

Tell that to the middle eastern people who are floating about in the Med half starved and very little water who are fleeing war and persecution. Yes, half the world is pampered while the other half are leading such miserable lives.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Tell that to the middle eastern people who are floating about in the Med half starved and very little water who are fleeing war and persecution. Yes, half the world is pampered while the other half are leading such miserable lives.
Very true Alan.
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 01:26 AM

Alan we do not understand how lucky we are to live in a time in our country with so much choice and help. I feel sorry that we cannot help others in the World to the same degree.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Water Dragon ->
Alan we do not understand how lucky we are to live in a time in our country with so much choice and help. I feel sorry that we cannot help others in the World to the same degree.
we can - but we won't - we've just cut aid to Indonesia by 50%
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 06:49 AM

Im sorry but I dont consider having a decent roof over our heads and the 'luxury' of food clean water and health care too much to ask for in the 21st century . Especially when you have given a lifetime of working..

If its a luxury then its one that everyone should have and its a crying shame that we dont all have it. But I wouldnt call it pampered.
Now the super rich who dont wear the same shirt twice and have a different rolls royce for every day of the week , thats pampered and unnecessary.

Bear in mind I wasnt one of those rooting for Mr Farage and his merry band to get in, they would have cut forgien aid even more.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 07:11 AM

The flip side is it has given us to much time to bother about other stuff.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 07:57 AM

True Alan. I didn't mean everyone. There are some poor souls.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

16-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Im sorry but I dont consider having a decent roof over our heads and the 'luxury' of food clean water and health care too much to ask for in the 21st century . Especially when you have given a lifetime of working..

If its a luxury then its one that everyone should have and its a crying shame that we dont all have it. But I wouldnt call it pampered.
Now the super rich who dont wear the same shirt twice and have a different rolls royce for every day of the week , thats pampered and unnecessary.

Bear in mind I wasnt one of those rooting for Mr Farage and his merry band to get in, they would have cut forgien aid even more.
I still think that compared to 100 years ago, we are pampered.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 08:22 AM

I don't think pampered is the right word, we have rights and with those come responsibilities, if the present government get their way we will lose more of those rights and be seeing more and more heading into poverty so may well start seeing deprivations like the Victorian age. Now they are taking any hope of a home from poorer young people and forcing them to work for a pittance I am sure they don't feel particularly pampered. We have young men and women working for £2.73 per hour expected to now fund their own housing and with no top up benefits. It would be interesting to know how that compares with the pennies a day people earned in Victorian times because I have a funny feeling with inflation it's very close.
Our employment rights are eroded daily and by both labour government and conservative and now they are going to take away our human rights.

Yes we are surely pampered so pampered some people have starved to death and we have growing homelessness.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top