Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Britains Greatest Generation

Watched this docu last night - very good it was, for me there was hardly a mention of the war as I was growing up, so programmes like these are essential to watch.
A great generation they certainly were - I cherish them
Also watched (twice) 'The spirit of '45', so revealing and in depth - had to watch it a second time a few months apart.
Nye Bevan - such foresight and heart and obviously made a big difference to the working class. Made me laugh at one point to see the outcry he created and to put it bluntly, viewed by the 'uppers' as a 'nutcase' - very similar to what Farage endures today ..................
The wonderful people I viewed will stay in my heart and mind forever.
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 03:51 PM

Re: Britains Greatest Generation

Was a good proggie, tho a little too rose-tinted I thought. Also no mention of how screwed up a lot of them were from what they'd been thru, and they often took it out on their families. That generation's kids (born in 40's & 50's) were shockingly badly treated almost as a matter of course, both at home and school, compared to today's children.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 03:56 PM

Jodie - I think the reason for that (rose tinted) as you describe, was that it was about the war years and what ordinary folk contributed. Not their family life.
If you saw the 'spirit of '45' - I can well understand the tension of parents, its was a bloomin' hard, tough life, make no mistake and bloomin 'unjust' at that. Bound to bring that home with you unfortunately. Yes the kids had it tough, but I honestly don't know how those parents remained sane - thank goodness for Bevan that gave them a decent roof over their head, the NHS and good working conditions ....................
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 04:28 PM

I think many of them were borderline insane. And there was no help available for traumatised individuals of course. There was hardly enough to eat let alone help for that sort of thing, they were victims of their time, as we all are. But I can never understand or forgive violent cruelty to children , I don't care how bad the situation is. But you reap what you sow. Neither me nor my siblings ever went back once we'd left. My ol man also was treated appallingly at boardng school & his parents didn't give a t&ss about any of it. With our kids I'm having a hard time getting them to stay away for more than a few weeks lol.. Job done. :b
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by jodie ->
I think many of them were borderline insane. And there was no help available for traumatised individuals of course. There was hardly enough to eat let alone help for that sort of thing, they were victims of their time, as we all are. But I can never understand or forgive violent cruelty to children , I don't care how bad the situation is. But you reap what you sow. Neither me nor my siblings ever went back once we'd left. My ol man also was treated appallingly at boardng school & his parents didn't give a t&ss about any of it. With our kids I'm having a hard time getting them to stay away for more than a few weeks lol.. Job done. :b
I know and understand your feelings - my Grandmother had terrible beatings from her Husband, I am so sad to think of all she went through and raising 7 children too.
As for meself, I had beatings from me Dad, but when I look back it was hearing and seeing my Mother beaten that haunts me. They say physical hurt heals, emotional scars never do and that is so true ...................
PS - one good thing Jodie, it made you a great Mother, so some good came from it all x
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 04:42 PM

I hear very few tales about WW2-one Uncle was air sea rescue(he said-I suspect maybe a little more covert-just something about the way he wore a beret and talked off the odd fracas down in the Med) One Uncle worked on the land and became a Baptist Minister and of course my father who won WW2 on his own. Odd that as he missed the war stationed in Rhodesia and never saw active service
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2015, 05:03 PM

The problem for my generation is we were never taught about the war at school, which was a great pity
Today, that has been rectified in schools
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 05:13 PM

I remember the war and it was tough.
I lived with my sisters and brother in London and we were bombed all around us. Thankfully we were cared for and loved so much by our parents.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The problem for my generation is we were never taught about the war at school, which was a great pity
Today, that has been rectified in schools
That is a good point-I remember being in the first form and we were not allowed to see a film about concentration camps-third formers and above only.

What utter nonsense. I had already heard tales and also I read the Eagle-Tommy gives the hun a good thrashing.
jodie
UK

18-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I know and understand your feelings - my Grandmother had terrible beatings from her Husband, I am so sad to think of all she went through and raising 7 children too.
As for meself, I had beatings from me Dad, but when I look back it was hearing and seeing my Mother beaten that haunts me.
Yup, it seems everyone was taking a pop at everyone else - what I can't understand is how they all thought it perfectly OK to do that. Everyone did it therefore who cares - a sort of mass denial that that stuff was just so wrong.

I can see it turning up a little with our kids generation - DIL has just put her 1 yr old twins into nursery cos she's bored at home and "everyone's doing it so it must be OK" .. ergh..!! I could never have done that with babies too young to tell me if something was wrong. But "everyone's doing it so that's alright". It's a sort of mass self-justification to avoid a better but maybe harder option.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top