Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Re: Britains Greatest Generation

btw don't you find it interesting that the community spirit which seemed to happen during the war (according to that documentary) appeared to instantly fizzle out afterwards.(?)
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 05:51 PM

I was born in 1951 so I don't remember the Second World War but it devastated my family.

A Royal Navy Uncle I never got the to meet committed suicide because he could not get over his experiences in the battle where we lost HMS Hood.

My mother got caught out during a bombing raid one night in Portsmouth and the only shelter she could find was a local park where all the bodies were taken - she never really got over that and eventually drunk herself to death.

My grandad risked his life every night going up to London fighting the blitz - he was a fireman.

My father falsified his papers and was at sea with the Royal Navy in the Indian Ocean at just 16, on destroyers in 1941 'til the end.

I didn't see the programme mentioned but I would have liked to. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jodie ->
Yup, it seems everyone was taking a pop at everyone else - what I can't understand is how they all thought it perfectly OK to do that. Everyone did it therefore who cares - a sort of mass denial that that stuff was just so wrong.

I can see it turning up a little with our kids generation - DIL has just put her 1 yr old twins into nursery cos she's bored at home and "everyone's doing it so it must be OK" .. ergh..!! I could never have done that with babies too young to tell me if something was wrong. But "everyone's doing it so that's alright". It's a sort of mass self-justification to avoid a better but maybe harder option.
In part I agree with the above, their fathers did the same and in my case, my Father did the same.
But, not all families were like this ......
As for todays generation - drugs, unemployment and other pressures to 'fit in' all play their part.
Such a shame when the 50s and 60s gave such hope and enthusiasm to so many ..............
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I was born in 1951 so I don't remember the Second World War but it devastated my family.

A Royal Navy Uncle I never got the to meet committed suicide because he could not get over his experiences in the battle where we lost HMS Hood.

My mother got caught out during a bombing raid one night in Portsmouth and the only shelter she could find was a local park where all the bodies were taken - she never really got over that and eventually drunk herself to death.

My grandad risked his life every night going up to London fighting the blitz - he was a fireman.

My father falsified his papers and was at sea with the Royal Navy in the Indian Ocean at just 16, on destroyers in 1941 'til the end.

I didn't see the programme mentioned but I would have liked to. stevmk2
The above is what we must always remember, without them we would be 'German' - the people I saw have my utmost respect - bless 'em all ............
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2015, 06:27 PM

btw don't you find it interesting that the community spirit which seemed to happen during the war (according to that documentary) appeared to instantly fizzle out afterwards.(?)
Well not instantly - I saw another docu last year, the reason given was the upshot of high rise flats, people more isolated and the drug culture that ensued ..............
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 06:38 PM

When I think of how so many died , gave themselves for their country, offered up their life , all those who suffered , believing in a better Britain for themselves, their families and future .

Then I look now at Britain , the people , their life's , how we expect so much , the selfishness , the younger culture . Then I think again of those who were all so brave .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
When I think of how so many died , gave themselves for their country, offered up their life , all those who suffered , believing in a better Britain for themselves, their families and future .

Then I look now at Britain , the people , their life's , how we expect so much , the selfishness , the younger culture . Then I think again of those who were all so brave .

So agree with you - it bothered me that they were never mentioned at school - instead we had to put up with Henry the Eighth !
Maybe, if they had been focused on, future generations would have had more respect. I have certainly witnessed schoolchildren recently being taught about those lives and sacrifices ..........
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Such a shame when the 50s and 60s gave such hope and enthusiasm to so many ..............
I know! The 60's were such an amazing & optimistic time, I remember thinking everything is obviously just gonna get better & better.. why wouldn't it? hmm well .. the music got worse
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2015, 07:39 PM

I know! The 60's were such an amazing & optimistic time, I remember thinking everything is obviously just gonna get better & better.. why wouldn't it? hmm well .. the music got worse
If only we'd stayed in the 60s ...........
jodie
UK

18-05-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
If only we'd stayed in the 60s ...........
haha, if only. Not sure I'd look so good with my hair down to my butt & no bra these days tho - I'd terrify the grandies :b

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top