Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:02 PM

Gay marriage referendum.

This Friday Irish voters will vote yes or no on the subject of allowing gay marriage.

People will vote with their heart and they have the right to vote as they chose, thats their democratic right but I was moved and saddened to read about the way some people are behaving.

Una Mullally who is a journalist also happens to be gay and shes urging people to vote yes..
In March this year she found out that she has bowel cancer.

Shes had some vile hate mail to deal with but this just takes the biscuit.

http://www.her.ie/life/maybe-your-ca...te-mail/233621
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:06 PM

Re: Gay marriage referendum.

People can be so cruel
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:09 PM

How people can be so cruel is beyond me
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 11:12 PM

Sadly it's a fact of life that there are a proportion of people who spread negativity and even hatred, I think that they shouldn't be given the oxygen of publicity and the less said about them the better.

Instead I hope the papers write about those who want fairness and justice and positive thinking for all.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 06:39 AM

I always put this class of hate in a heading Chimpanzee.

Chimps are known to attack anything scary or strange with big sticks beating the offending object to oblivion.

In human terms there is no bigger stick than God and people who use God to batter others are just reverting back to caveman techniques in my opinion.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 07:40 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that some people tell others how to live their life. To out pen to paper to do it is awful.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Sadly, although some are predicting a yes vote I think it may be the opposite. It will depend on the turnout, I think. This is a strange country in some ways because 'religion' has played such a huge part in its constitution and society up until quite recently. I know many people who will blindly vote no out of bigotry, but they are mostly rural people. I don't know which way the city populations are leaning. Don't get me wrong, I love rural Ireland and those who live there (mostly!) but there can be a different mindset on certain issues.
I don't get a vote in the referendum because non-Irish residents cannot vote on anything which directly relates to changes in the Constitution. But I am certainly following it with interest.
Cass
NL

20-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Orangutan ... I love Ireland too.. My family orignate from there and when I eventually got to Dublin I felt as if I was home..
My son and his family now live there and thats why I heard about this as well as the water meter farce.

Im not sure if such a debate has come too quickly for many Irish people. Peace is still a fragile thing there and to be launched into the 21st century with a debate like this might be too far removed from the faith they hold dear.

However I cant help but think you cannot run a country peacefully when you only allow one faith, one belief to override all others.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Poor woman has enough to cope with out idiots on line attacking her. To the bigger question I always say to any of the Christians I know personally who don't agree with gay marriage imagine if Jesus was alive today - even back then he loved everyone and didn't discriminate that was one of the reasons he was hated so much and feared. So if we want to follow him we have to stop discriminating against anyone.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:15 AM

Interesting article I have just read:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-vote-same-sex

And yes, Cass, I agree with your last statement. I am not anti-religion, nor anti-Catholic, but the Irish Constitution is SO heavily influenced by the Catholic church of old that it can at times make life difficult for some.

Ireland has changed phenomenally in the past 30 years and I think at times the rapid progression was too much. I stayed away during much of that time as I no longer recognised the Ireland I had known. But when I came back I found much of what I had loved was still here. The new generation is so much better informed than their parents and grandparents now in rural Ireland, largely because earlier generations had no choice but to live an insular life which only exposed them to their known environment. Hence, I guess, the rush to change everything almost at once. Interesting times here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top