Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Re: Gay marriage referendum.

It will be interesting whatever the outcome.

Its also worthy to note that you can change a law overnight but changing peoples hearts and minds takes much longer..

A new law for or against wont change the way people feel so the issue will still be much debated.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 12:26 PM

Sometimes I have to pinch myself to check if I am in the 21st not 16th century with rights of people with differing Sexual orientation still being discussed.

Having said that I suppose the fact that Ireland is having a referendum at all is a big leap forward for a country where until fairly recently married women were not allowed to work.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Sometimes I have to pinch myself to check if I am in the 21st not 16th century with rights of people with differing Sexual orientation still being discussed.

Having said that I suppose the fact that Ireland is having a referendum at all is a big leap forward for a country where until fairly recently married women were not allowed to work.
Well way I see it at least we are allowed to talk about and are moving forward at a slow rate, people I feel for are others around the world dying because they are Gay.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well way I see it at least we are allowed to talk about and are moving forward at a slow rate, people I feel for are others around the world dying because they are Gay.
That is true Julie...
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Women who worked in the public sector hadn't been able to keep their jobs if they married until the law was changed about 74. It didn't apply to primary teachers or nurses as far as Im aware.
The idea was with the shortage of jobs to have as many jobs as possible for men who had families to support, there was no divorce in those days, women who were married were dependent on the husbands.
A lot of married women worked outside the home from the early 70s as money was often tight. They mainly worked in nursing, teaching, care assistants and in shops.

Ireland has changed beyond all recognition in the past 60 years. People lived their lives completely in accordance with the rules of the church and to some extent superstitions.

Now the vast majority are informed and enlightened, they have moved away from religion in droves apart from older generations, wind the clock forward another 30-40 years it may be one of the least religious countries in Europe.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->

Ireland has changed beyond all recognition in the past 60 years. People lived their lives completely in accordance with the rules of the church and to some extent superstitions.

Now the vast majority are informed and enlightened, they have moved away from religion in droves apart from older generations, wind the clock forward another 30-40 years it may be one of the least religious countries in Europe.
Exactly what I was trying to say, but you put it better!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 12:54 PM

It looks like a resounding YES to same sex marriage!

Ireland is moving forward.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 01:49 PM

Brilliant
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

23-05-2015, 01:59 PM

The were discussing the referendum on the early news and I was quite surprised there was so much support for the 'yes' vote. I wasn't sure Ireland was ready for it but I am delighted they appear to have been
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Congratulations to Ireland for understanding love has no gender bounderies.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top