Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 01:18 PM

Re: Cannes dress code fiasco

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's because black tie means high heels for women, and dictates the suit and tie the man wears, but in this day and age really ???

Also understand a disabled woman was turned away because she is unable to wear them if that is true they should be ashamed of themselves for their lack of equality training !
Amazing what you can learn on here! I never knew that black tie also meant women have to wear heels Surely some shoes without heels can be just as formal?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Julie wherever did you get the idea that black tie for men means high heels for women?
Surely it simply indicates that formal attire be worn, which for a woman means a cocktail dress or evening gown....and surely suitable shoes to accompany a smart dress could have a heel of any height?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Julie wherever did you get the idea that black tie for men means high heels for women?
Surely it simply indicates that formal attire be worn, which for a woman means a cocktail dress or evening gown....and surely suitable shoes to accompany a smart dress could have a heel of any height?
That's what I thought. Off to do some research now

Edited post research! Can't find anything in black tie etiquette that says women must wear heels...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 02:29 PM

No black tie definitely means high heels, seen a few dos in my time and black tie always meant high heels for the ladies, sometimes even us waitresses were expected to wear a heel. One of the main reasons I stopped doing them.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

21-05-2015, 03:31 PM

No black tie definitely means high heels, seen a few dos in my time and black tie always meant high heels for the ladies, sometimes even us waitresses were expected to wear a heel. One of the main reasons I stopped doing them.
I'm not convinced, Julie. I've googled lots of sites and none refer to heels, just the type of dress.

Could it just be something your employers at the time insisted on?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 03:37 PM

Just had a look in my etiquette guide (don't do that often these days) and yes heels are essential various news papers today report on it too DM had this to say http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...es-carpet.html
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

21-05-2015, 03:39 PM

Just had a look in my etiquette guide (don't do that often these days) and yes heels are essential various news papers today report on it too DM had this to say http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...es-carpet.html
Interesting. What is your book? Debretts online don't seem to mention heels.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-05-2015, 03:52 PM

I believe it's an off shoot of Debretts it's called the young ladies guide to etiquette published 1899 given to me by my Nan who had been given it when she was in service.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the link.

William Hanson!! What a tit!!! What a condescending little twerp!!
What a pompous little pillock!!
What a load of bullshit!! What a heap of total and utter CRAP!!!

I really want to punch his stupid smug botoxed face in!!

As usual men telling women what to do....it needs for all the women there at a given signal to remove their shoes and do a Sandi Shaw.
Jeeze women had more spirit in those days!
What are the organisers going to do, send them all home????

If it wasn't so pathetic that it makes you want to cry, it would be hilarious!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 07:20 PM

I know my place-the flicks and back seat for a snog.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top