Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:12 AM

What do you take us for David?

An article today about the Bank of England mistakenly sending an e-mail about the financial effect of Britain leaving the EU to the media......Yea right.....

Does David Cameron think we were all born yesterday?
Obviously a scaremongering tactic to influence the forthcoming referendum.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-10271635.html
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:19 AM

Re: What do you take us for David?

The misinformation and double dealing has started already, this is a deliberate attempt to manipulate us, yesterday an argument about 50% of our exports going to Europe was sank in the water by the fact these exports go to Rotterdam port, but many are heading to destinations outside the EU. They are not recorded as such, they are supposed to be.

Already reports of deals that will only apply after the referendum, i anticipate much more Cameron does not want out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:23 AM

What I don't understand is how can anyone 'accidentally' send an email to a journalist

My PC does not contain the email addresses of any journalists accidently or otherwise
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
The misinformation and double dealing has started already, this is a deliberate attempt to manipulate us, yesterday an argument about 50% of our exports going to Europe was sank in the water by the fact these exports go to Rotterdam port, but many are heading to destinations outside the EU. They are not recorded as such, they are supposed to be.

Already reports of deals that will only apply after the referendum, i anticipate much more Cameron does not want out.
Nom I heard an item on the radio yesterday about the fact that goods are 'shuffled ' around in and out of the port of Rotterdam particularly oil to and from the refinery and holding tanks 'the Rotterdam effect'.
I think it would be almost impossible to accurately calculate the true figure of trade between ourselves and europe partly due to this . I would guess it is tied up with 'futures' trading market.

I think what Cameron has in mind is returning to the original idea of a 'common market' so just a trading agreement with Europe without the politics rather than a complete exit but I can't see the other member countries buying that if it means losing our financial contribution.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:41 AM

With regards to the referendum, I believe the government will have referendum after referendum until they get the result they want.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:57 AM

We never had any problems with our exports before we joined the common market, so I can't see why on earth we should stay in.

OPPS yes I know!!!!

It is a back door into Europe for the USA
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 05:23 PM

Whilst I agree that there was nothing accidental about it, I'd be surprised if the Bank of England wasn't looking at the possible financial effects of a UK withdrawal from the EU. Why wouldn't they?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

23-05-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
Whilst I agree that there was nothing accidental about it, I'd be surprised if the Bank of England wasn't looking at the possible financial effects of a UK withdrawal from the EU. Why wouldn't they?
I would not only be surprised but appalled if Mark Carney had not instigated a revue into the implications for both a 'yes' or 'no' vote in any referendum.

Any findings should not be made public thought until any revue is complete. Some would argue they should not be made public at all as the bank is supposedly neutral but I think that is what we need, some independant review if we are to make an informed decision. We can't trust the politicians or the press to give us an unbiased view.

I think if the banks had done more revues into the implication of their own actions instead of turning a blind eye to that which was happening in the world around them they could have avoid the financial crisis of 2007/2008.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:53 PM

I am bemused as to why the information contained in the email surprised anyone. I would think it odd if the Bank of England weren't making plans and contingencies for the possibility, in fact I would think it a downright dereliction of duty if they weren't.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 07:08 PM

It seems strange for a senior professional communications person to slip up in sending an email

However, it would be stranger still (and a gross deriliction of duty) if the Bank of England was not examining all aspects of a possible Brexit, so no need for anyone to get their underwear in disarray

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top