Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 01:44 PM

starting so young

Jasmine my nine year old granddaughter spoke to me about periods , she is well informed by her mum and me about growing up. She prepared for it she tells me as three school friends age 9 and 10 have already started, ! I was surprised at such a young age . Most girls usually started around 12 years of age. It's difficult to think mother nature is preparing their little bodies to carry babies isn't it.

Mother also bought jasmine her first tiny bra this week as bless her she is already sprouting boobies.

Is mother nature arriving sooner in our children I wonder .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 01:48 PM

Re: starting so young

I can only relate my own experience but I was about middle of my class at school for starting and I was 10 so there would have been 10 earlier than me and 10 older than me. So sounds pretty normal to me.
Bra came along at 9 I think and again I was not first or last to get one.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 02:33 PM

I was ten and remember that cramping in my stomach. Also remember the grey and white box of Dr. White's With the sanitary belt! They are fortunate to have more choice feminine stuff these days. Great that your wee granddaughter can be so open with you. So nice. I remember my gran saying to me "so, you're a wee lady now"
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 02:36 PM

My daughter started hers the day after her 9th birthday and she is now in her 30's.
The main reason that girls start earlier now is that they are generally well fed and you have to reach a certain weight to kick start puberty, that is why periods stop in girls who suffer with anorexia, their weigh is too low.

If girls are very heavy as children their puberty can start too early really.

My daughter was a little bit chunky at that age but she has watched her weight and is a normal weight now.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 02:40 PM

Myra I remember those Dr Whites towels, as someone once described it 'it was like having a bed between your legs, and nearly as uncomfortable', not to mention the horrible belt.
I was about 13 when it all started ......the dreaded curse.
I used to have such terrible pains that I would occasionally pass out.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 04:01 PM

I started when I was 12. When I was a teenager of 16 upwards I was often in bad pain and would be sick as well. When my son was born it all stopped being so painful . My daughter suffers too even though she's had two children .

A blessing getting old as we no longer have this inconvenience.

By the way when a woman passes through the menopause she would have been known as an old crone in times past !
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 03:05 PM

!4 for me! I was about average weight for the times but most of my friends were already menstruating and I felt like I was missing out!
My mum must have been a thoroughly modern mother because although I had the dreaded ST's to use if I wanted I was also supplied with Tampax and instructions on how to use it! After the first few times, no contest!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 10:38 PM

Thank goodness someone else was 14 as well, Anita. All these 9 and 10 year olds has really surprised me.
No idea when I got a bra though, probably around the same time I imagine.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top