Join for free
Page 30 of 30 « First < 20 28 29 30
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2015, 02:57 PM

Re: What is the difference between faith and religion

'Stuff' out there ...

Split Brains | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...1/split-brains

Gives you a bad head reading about it though. And yes it is possible to end up with 2 separate entities - 2 totally different people trying to control various appendages of the same body and so on - split-brain syndrome.

The Rain Man!

Originally Posted by Split Brains
An MRI scan of the savant, Kim Peek, who lent inspiration to the fictional character Raymond Babbitt (played by Dustin Hoffman) in the movie Rain Man, revealed an absence of the corpus callosum, the anterior commissure and the hippocampal commissure, the three cables for information transfer between hemispheres. As a consequence of this complete split, Peek, who sadly died last year, was able to simultaneously read both pages of an open book and retain the information.
As for the above being related to schizophrenia - it could well be the case - dunno.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2015, 03:00 PM

I had intended this to be somewhat lighter than it is heading (forgive the unintentional pun).

In our village, there used to be an elderly gentleman called Frank. He lived alone, was extremely untidy, yet very intelligent. I knew him well - he was my friend. If you asked him about any railway station in the UK, past or present, he could tell you the number of signals, the lines, even the buildings. I think he may have been a savant.

One day, he was fiddling around with his old six valved radio when he picked up a foreign station. He listened for a couple of minutes - and could understand what the people were talking about. The more he listened, the better he hear. It turned out to be a Dutch station - and Frank could now both hear - a speak Dutch.

I later heard him talking fluently to Dutch visitors. Not just everyday conversational stuff, but sometimes complex railway details.

Frank told me that he had never heard Dutch before hearing it on the radio. He was very sincere about it and I believed him.

How? I haven't the faintest idea. I just know he did.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
I did not start this thread
Has anyone said you did Annie ....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
I had intended this to be somewhat lighter than it is heading (forgive the unintentional pun).

In our village, there used to be an elderly gentleman called Frank. He lived alone, was extremely untidy, yet very intelligent. I knew him well - he was my friend. If you asked him about any railway station in the UK, past or present, he could tell you the number of signals, the lines, even the buildings. I think he may have been a savant.

One day, he was fiddling around with his old six valved radio when he picked up a foreign station. He listened for a couple of minutes - and could understand what the people were talking about. The more he listened, the better he hear. It turned out to be a Dutch station - and Frank could now both hear - a speak Dutch.

I later heard him talking fluently to Dutch visitors. Not just everyday conversational stuff, but sometimes complex railway details.

Frank told me that he had never heard Dutch before hearing it on the radio. He was very sincere about it and I believed him.

How? I haven't the faintest idea. I just know he did.

I think this thread needs to get back on topic as mentioned by Countrygirl so I'm going to give it a rest for a while.

The above sounds like it needs it own thread .
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2015, 03:10 PM

I apologise, Countrygirl, for taking this thread so completely off track.

I shall give myself a smacky botty...
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
I apologise, Countrygirl, for taking this thread so completely off track.

I shall give myself a smacky botty...
I think I've only made three posts on this particular thread: I've tried to define the difference between faith and religion; I've defended those who have faith in the face of suggestions that we are somehow unstable and I've pointed out that it has gone off track. That's all I have to say.
Carry on, everyone. I'm off to take the dog out....

Page 30 of 30 « First < 20 28 29 30

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top