Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Re: Interest Rates....

Originally Posted by merz ->
Went into the Building Society to have my pass book brought up to date with Interest earned from last year. It's a Cash ISA I have with them-not a fortune in the account, but its my money for any emergencies that may arise.

Checked the amount of Interest given, which was next to nothing and decided to ring them to check what the Interest Rate was. The chap told me 0.01% I know rates are low, but not that low. Anyway, in the same breath the chap said 'but we can given you 2.6%' Asked why I couldn't have that previously, was told it was 'telephone based', meaning that you don't get that rate unless you ring them!!!!!!!

No wonder their profits are high, and I still can't get my head around their reasoning........
It's interesting that you bring up interest rates as I've often thought about the 5% banks used to give you for passbook savings. I was only a child at that time but it's one area that has steadily gotten worse. I really regretted that our government bailed out the banks during our current recession. They're still not loaning money at a reasonable rate. In fact, they've made so much money that they paid back the loans and are giving their top executives those rediculous huge bonuses again. Who do you think made them all that profit?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2010, 06:24 PM

I didn't realise that interest rates were poor in the United States as well Bobmielke. I know that the banks have had difficulties and their problems threatened to bankrupt them, which would mean that everyone would lose their money and savings, so that could not be allowed to happen and they were bailed out by our Government (which is us all really). I think it is different now and they are making profits again, so really I think they should be thinking about the savers and investors and giving a bit more to them. Is that too simple. Many people rely on their savings for an income and times have been very hard for a lot of people.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2011, 09:04 PM

Nationwide are offering 3.75% for a 18 months fixed term ISA.

There are still a lot of people only getting 0.5%.

It is easy to transfer your money, just dont take it out yourself
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Nationwide are offering 3.75% for a 18 months fixed term ISA.

There are still a lot of people only getting 0.5%.

It is easy to transfer your money, just dont take it out yourself
That's not a bad rate they're offering Galty. Remembered this year to ring Halifax to see what rate they could offer me this year - straight away they offered 3%, still with instant access if I need any money. Decided to stay with that, which is not a bad rate either.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top