Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 02:06 PM

Re: Who knows about cars?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thank you for all the sensible suggestions ........
You're very welcome, Mups.
Always happy to help a damsel in distress.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Hi

In the interests of helping you out Mups, I have posted your problem on the Petrolheads Forum.

Us men are very gallant, always ready to help a lady in distress.

I have already had 342 replies offering to help you remove your tights and examine your fanbelt.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 02:45 PM

These last two replies to my plight are precisely why a lot of ladies have given the replies they have, in the "Men - Why do we bother" thread!

Note, I have found my extending poinker Pummy, so it will reach both of you now - no probem.

Swimmy, I have decided the sooner we find you a nice part-time job the better.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Try talking to it soothingly Mups!
Cars can be grumpy first thing, bit like men when you poke them and tell them to get going in the cold weather!
I'm always saying encouraging things to my little car, like, " Come on Pixie, you can do it!" when going up hill.
It might suffer discomfort if it's little belt thingy is slipping, let the nice garage man take a look.
Hope this helps!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Cars can be grumpy first thing, bit like men when you poke them and tell them to get going in the cold weather!
I'm always saying encouraging things to my little car, like, " Come on Pixie, you can do it!" when going up hill.
It might suffer discomfort if it's little belt thingy is slipping, let the nice garage man take a look.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for that sound advice Tess. See, it takes another woman to understand doesn't it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Hi

Mups, I am demob happy, 40 odd years of having to be very serious and watching every word.

Literally hundreds of interviews, You do not have to say anything etc etc.

I am like your Gertie, finding my feet and enjoying every minute.

I will calm down in a bit, but not just yet.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Hope this helps!
I'd give it a kick up the Jacksie and show it who's boss!
As for swimmy's advice via 'Petrolheads' l thought it was quite witty!

Come on Mups, Smile, you're on Candid Camera'!!
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 05:54 PM

Most modern vehicles do not have a "fan" belt per se, but an electrical driven fan to cool the radiator when necessary. A serpentine belt usually drives what needs to be driven and controls the timing as well. I do not know about fiats, but some vehicle engines can suffer damage if the belt actually breaks. Sometimes the noise is the belt tension pulley bearings which can let out a squeal if bad. I grew up on a farm and several times in the Winter I heard a clunk from under the hood when vehicles had metal belt driven fans, and an unfortunate cat would come rolling out. Sometimes you had to pick them out.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-01-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Mups, I am demob happy, 40 odd years of having to be very serious and watching every word.

Literally hundreds of interviews, You do not have to say anything etc etc.

I am like your Gertie, finding my feet and enjoying every minute.

I will calm down in a bit, but not just yet.

Hmmm, I can see you're going to be a bit of a menace.

I'll have to give it further thought about me fanbelt. . .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 06:02 PM

One common fault I found when doing car mechanical repairs was fan belts being too tight causing the bearings in the water pump to go out of alignment and resulting in unevern wear. This in turn can cause a coutinuous screeching, starting with the startup screech gradually getting constant.

Sometimes the belt tensioner has ceased up, dependng on type used. if the belt tensioner locks up and keeps a belt constantly too tight this can also be a problem that needs looking at and possible replacement.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top