Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 07:55 PM

Re: The real cause of depression

I mean, I am depressed but it’s reactive. I think it’s always helpful to consider why one is depressed.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
All I can say is "What a load of rubbish". So obvious that you have never had depression . it is circumstances outside ones control that puts umbearable mental strain on a person. I did even consider at one stage ending it all it was that bad
I have suffered from mild depression on and off most of my adult life. I had such bad PMT combined with SAD that i'd want to walk under a bus on the way home from work. I used to find comfort in knowing I could end it. So why don't I feel that way now?

I just don't believe it's caused by stuff that happens to us. Different people react to the same circumstances in different ways. In my case it was all caused by chemical changes because of hormones (either melatonin or oestrogen). I used to buy self help books, try to think positive. But my brain would just say everything that I thought was good in my life prior to that moment was fake and that it was all just rubbish. It was only by realising how much of the brain is just controlled by chemicals that I found it easier to cope.

So I've gone from nurture to nature in my views. You just need a point of reference to hold onto when there's a storm.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have thought this for many years now someone has written about it .
Basically a lot of depression is caused by the lack of meaningful
Work or activity .

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...st-connections
I've found quite the opposite.

As a teacher, I was beginning to feel depressed at least some of the time. I'm sure I have no need to explain why.

Since retiring five years ago, I have never felt depressed at all...
well, apart from when Marge shouts at me.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 01:20 AM

A lot of teachers seem to feel depressed I must admit I would not like to be a teacher today how on earth does anyone control the class ?
What with ADHD and ODD or some other syndrome that children have today .Added to the SATS ,WWC and OFSTED it seems a real PITA
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
A lot of teachers seem to feel depressed I must admit I would not like to be a teacher today how on earth does anyone control the class ?
What with ADHD and ODD or some other syndrome that children have today .Added to the SATS ,WWC and OFSTED it seems a real PITA
And offensive and threatening parents.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 10:54 AM

I think you have to be a saint or a martyr to want to become a teacher these days.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have suffered from mild depression on and off most of my adult life. I had such bad PMT combined with SAD that i'd want to walk under a bus on the way home from work. I used to find comfort in knowing I could end it. So why don't I feel that way now?

I just don't believe it's caused by stuff that happens to us. Different people react to the same circumstances in different ways. In my case it was all caused by chemical changes because of hormones (either melatonin or oestrogen). I used to buy self help books, try to think positive. But my brain would just say everything that I thought was good in my life prior to that moment was fake and that it was all just rubbish. It was only by realising how much of the brain is just controlled by chemicals that I found it easier to cope.

So I've gone from nurture to nature in my views. You just need a point of reference to hold onto when there's a storm.
It can be caused by things that happen to us too, my husbands never been a depressed person but after Tasha died that wasn't just grief he went through, even now several years later I have to keep an eye on his mood.

One of Jordan's army buds was invalided out of the army, he's suffering huge depression because of what's happened.

Talking to my GP at the time we were homeless he was certain it wasn't anything but situational why I was depressed.

There are many causes both chemical and situational.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

28-02-2018, 04:17 PM

I've been lucky to avoid it lately, but it took over huge chunks of my life at one stage - mainly endogenous.

I may be depressed about my cancer but it's not overwhelming.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 04:58 PM

What i am trying to say is that some people are more prone to getting depressed in reaction to life events. This imo is down to their physiology and the way their brains produce chemicals. There is a part of the brain called the amygdala that controls our anxiety response. If it's poorly formed you will find it more difficult to deal with life's challenges. So some people cope better than others and it doesn't matter how hard those with a weakness in this area try, they will still find it really difficult to cope.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

28-02-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What i am trying to say is that some people are more prone to getting depressed in reaction to life events. This imo is down to their physiology and the way their brains produce chemicals. There is a part of the brain called the amygdala that controls our anxiety response. If it's poorly formed you will find it more difficult to deal with life's challenges. So some people cope better than others and it doesn't matter how hard those with a weakness in this area try, they will still find it really difficult to cope.
This I agree with. The amygdyla, once compromised can always remain so. It's one of the reasons why agoraphobics suffer so much.

Charles Whitman, the Austin Tower shooter who killed so many back in 1966 was found to have a tumour on or by his amygdyla which caused him to kill his mother and so many innocents.

Brain chemistry is important and explains much.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top