Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
DavidA
New Member!
London
DavidA is male 

06-07-2011, 11:50 AM

Prepay funerals

Hello,

I'm 75 and have not put any money aside for my funeral. I was wondering if anyone has started a pre-pay funeral plan at my age and why? I'm not sure what I should do.

Thank you,
David
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Re: Prepay funerals

Hello David and welcome

I haven't a plan as such , I am hoping my funeral such as it is will be taken care of out of the proceeds of the sale of my house/ belongings/any left over cash .

I am not bothered about a funeral , once I am gone it really doesn't matter. A neighbours son took his mother to the crematorium in a cardboard box in the back of his estate car .
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello David and welcome

I haven't a plan as such , I am hoping my funeral such as it is will be taken care of out of the proceeds of the sale of my house/ belongings/any left over cash .

I am not bothered about a funeral , once I am gone it really doesn't matter. A neighbours son took his mother to the crematorium in a cardboard box in the back of his estate car .
I agree wholeheartedly with what you have written
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DavidA ->
Hello,

I'm 75 and have not put any money aside for my funeral. I was wondering if anyone has started a pre-pay funeral plan at my age and why? I'm not sure what I should do.

Thank you,
David
Hello and welcome to the forum David.
I would think for some people a pre-paid funeral plan could be a good idea, although I would think it will cost quite a lot more at 75 than if a younger person was starting one. I also think if I had no relatives to step in and see to things for me, I would be probably take one out. There is also the thought that the person taking out a plan would have control over how they wanted their funeral to be arranged, what they wanted and what they didn't want.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 06:49 PM

I took one out last year (Funerals here in Spain are considerably more than in the UK) when I was 61.
It costs me €300 per annum and includes travel insurance (bit weird but hey, who cares)
As a funeral here cost around €3000, if I snuff it within 10 years SWMBO is quids (or Euros) in.

My Funeral? I expect an awful lot of weeping and wailing, followed by a bloody good piss up.................
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Hello david and welcome.
Strangely enough we were just talking about funerals in the pub today. A retired civil servant was telling us that if you had no money or living relatives to pay for a funeral, you would get what is light heartedly called, 'A State Funeral', meaning the State would provide you with a respectable funeral, attended by two members of a State body. Sounds alright to me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Hello david and welcome.
Strangely enough we were just talking about funerals in the pub today. A retired civil servant was telling us that if you had no money or living relatives to pay for a funeral, you would get what is light heartedly called, 'A State Funeral', meaning the State would provide you with a respectable funeral, attended by two members of a State body. Sounds alright to me.
Hi Jem I understand that is so here too, after all you couldn't just be left around cluttering up the place and making a nasty smell could you .
There used to be designated paupers grave sections in churchyards, nowadays I think they cremate people who don't have any family and a member from the local council attends then tries to recover the cost from any estate the person may leave.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 10:20 PM

After watching that creepy git Michael Parkinson on the telly flogging his funeral plans, I'm arranging to be put out with the wheelie bins when the time comes. Put me in the Green one, I think I'd make wonderful compost!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 10:40 PM

Don't forget to write your name on your arse John, with the free pen.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

06-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
After watching that creepy git Michael Parkinson on the telly flogging his funeral plans, I'm arranging to be put out with the wheelie bins when the time comes. Put me in the Green one, I think I'd make wonderful compost!
Admirable John waste not want not ..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top