Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Nan
County Durham, UK
Nan is female 

01-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Those 'Uplifting' Moments...

....That make you smile in spite of yourself, that make your day and remind you that despite all the badness in this world, there 'is' still plenty of beauty, kindness, love and compassion going around.

Let's kick off this brand new year in 'positive' style - who knows - sharing an 'uplifting' moment here may just lift up someone who is feeling down or restore someones faith in human kindness.

It doesn't have to be a personal experience - it can be something you witnessed or heard/read about.

I'll kick off with a story of my own in next post, so this one won't be too long a one
Nan
County Durham, UK
Nan is female 

01-01-2019, 04:36 PM

Re: Those 'Uplifting' Moments...

Some time ago I was taking a large animal cage to a charity shop. I had it on top of a 4 wheel shopping trolley and on the way the front wheels caught a 'lift' in one of the paving stones and went over. I ended up on top of the trolley and the cage landed a short distance away.

Four young people walking behind quickly gathered around me mobiles out ready to call an ambulance - which I quickly assured them wasn't needed. After helping me to my feet, righting the trolley and rescuing the cage - they asked where I was going. I told them and they insisted on coming with me - two of them carrying the cage - all the way to the charity shop. Once there - they made sure I really was OK before they said goodbye. I went on to meet a friend I was having lunch with and - of course - told her about it.

Proof if needed that despite all the bad things we hear about young people these days - not all young people are bad and I've never forgotten these ones
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 05:58 PM

My bra is very uplifting.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 06:17 PM

After my last chemo treatment I was feeling rather worse for wear and as I left the lift into the hospital carpark my legs decided that was that and there I was spreadeagled on my face in the entrance to the car park.

Two young men took one look, asked if I minded and hoisted me to my feet and virtually carried me to the waiting taxi. After the put me inside just disappeared into the crowd not stopping long enough for me to say thank you.

More recently I was walking my dogs when a bigger dog decided to try to mount my Elsie, she wasn't happy I wasn't happy and the man walking the big dog just thought it was funny. Lady with two enormous irish hounds walked over took the collar of his dog and just walked away dragging the errant dog with her. The owner was left running after her trying to catch up, while she swore up a storm about out of control dogs annoying other people.
Nan
County Durham, UK
Nan is female 

01-01-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
My bra is very uplifting.
Until you take it off huh - then everything goes south
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 06:25 PM

Oh Julie...I am chuckling at your last paragraph! That was fab.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Such good stories here! Nice thread, Nan. Welcome.

Before I ever left for university, my dad taught me how to change a tire (among a few other important, manageable car repairs).

Coming out of the market one late afternoon, I return to the parking lot to find that I had a flat. It wasn't long before a nice man came along and offered to help. I thanked him profusely, but assured him that I could manage, and that it was good experience for me. He reluctantly agreed, wished me well, and went on his way.

A few minutes later, he returned and said, "Look, I am married and have a mom and sister, if this happened to one of them, I would hope that some guy would come to their assistance. I just have to change the tire, ok?"

How could I not?
Nan
County Durham, UK
Nan is female 

01-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
After my last chemo treatment I was feeling rather worse for wear and as I left the lift into the hospital carpark my legs decided that was that and there I was spreadeagled on my face in the entrance to the car park.

Two young men took one look, asked if I minded and hoisted me to my feet and virtually carried me to the waiting taxi. After the put me inside just disappeared into the crowd not stopping long enough for me to say thank you.

More recently I was walking my dogs when a bigger dog decided to try to mount my Elsie, she wasn't happy I wasn't happy and the man walking the big dog just thought it was funny. Lady with two enormous irish hounds walked over took the collar of his dog and just walked away dragging the errant dog with her. The owner was left running after her trying to catch up, while she swore up a storm about out of control dogs annoying other people.
Hi Julie - sorry to hear about your chemo but hope it does it's job and results in good news very soon - hugs and best wishes. As for the 2 young men - kudos to them for their quick action. The fact they didn't hang around to be thanked says a lot about them too.

I bet when that man caught up with the woman they had a few words for each other - but I think it took courage for her to march his dog away like that
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 07:16 PM

GREAT thread,Nan-lovely to have a HAPPY thread,well done.

Ok;I was driving a road-train along a rather winding small lane. I'd delivered a full load of bricks to a house renovation project. As I approached one particular bend,a chap came frantically waving and yelling around it,toward me. A car approaching the bend from the other direction had gone straight into the ditch as it tried to take the corner. It was upside-down and smoke was coming from it. Ohhh,sh1t. I very quickly pulled as close as I could,got the legs extended,then got the crane out and over the car,so the straps could go through the windows. I was able to lift the car,very slowly,making it gently roll right-side-up. It was at that point the chap who'd stopped me and I realised there was a babyseat in the back...with baby still in it. The two adults were able to get out but were REALLY badly concussed...I looked after them,giving them hot drinks from my thermos flask-but the chap who'd stopped me went into action BIG time,as the car had suddenly got [small] flames coming from the bonnet area. He zapped across the ditch,getting the door open even though it was buckled,managing to get that little tot out with no dramas or causing her [it was a little girl] to start crying...and JUST as he got back onto the tarmac,the car went 'WHOOMPH' and burst into flames. I did my best to extinguish them with the extinguisher in my cab,but all I managed was to 'discourage' them. At that point an ambulance and firec engine could be heard approaching,but it really WAS a windy lane,so it was a few moments before they got to us. I had to reverse up to give the fire engine crew room to work. I never did know the chap who flagged me down's name. But,whomever he is,he's a champion and a real hero. That car burst into flame JUST as he got the little girl clear. It's an event I often look back on in contemplative moments....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 08:00 PM

Pug, that other guy was a hero, and so was the crane operator .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top