Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
A modern car isn't difficult to maintain than any other car, you take it to a garage and they will sort any larger maintenance out. As long you check the oil, tyres and windscreen wash that's all you basically need to do.
Yes, there's not much else to do to maintain the modern car Floydy. However, there's also the fact that nobody can do anything else with regard to servicing as it's impossible these days. Anything else is subject to hourly labour rates of £100 an hour, not exactly affordable for anyone on the basic State Pension of £155 a week. OK when you are working and earning but when on a small pension it's very much a different story.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, there's not much else to do to maintain the modern car Floydy. However, there's also the fact that nobody can do anything else with regard to servicing as it's impossible these days. Anything else is subject to hourly labour rates of £100 an hour, not exactly affordable for anyone on the basic State Pension of £155 a week. OK when you are working and earning but when on a small pension it's very much a different story.
You're right, Baz. I wasn't really talking about the money aspect - I don't have very much myself working in my meagrely-paid desperate job.
I understand that it's more expensive these days to do it yourself because everything is linked up electronically to an inbuilt computer and it isn't just the expense, it's having the tools and know-how to perform repairs yourself. I haven't a clue about any of that and costly as it is, my car is essential to get me to work and so needs to be maintained.

You could argue though that an older car would be just as expensive to maintain because more things would probably go wrong with it causing repairs to be needed more often, so it's a catch-22 situation really. I take the benefit of the doubt option and drive a newer car for peace of mind. The only way I was able to buy one was from inheritance. before this one, I've always had them on finance or driven bangers.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 02:50 PM

I agree with Bruce, Asian cars compare very well with
Euro cars on the reliability question, and on the running
costs and affordability front out score euro cars by a wide
margin!
I suppose in the uk this difference is not so evident due to
the tarriffs imposed by eu on imports from outside the eu.
If we ever get out of eu this should change!

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Anyone remember the old Fords whose windscreen wipers slowed down when you pressed accelerator?
You had wipers?

I can remember the windscreen washer being a rubber button on the floor which you pushed with your foot.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You had wipers?

I can remember the windscreen washer being a rubber button on the floor which you pushed with your foot.
I recall, note only recall as it was in my grandfather's ancient car, the wipers being operated with a piece of string in through the driver's window pulled up and down!

That car also had 'floorboards', real wooden ones that lifted right up one day when he drove through floodwater in a dip in the road! All the fun and games of the days when there was no technology at all and hardly any basics either!

As for any ignition method for starting the car – that old car was started with a starting handle, woe betide you if you cranked it wrongly as it could easily break your wrist!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You had wipers?

You had it lucky! My dad had to throw a cup of tea on his windscreen from his side window
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I recall, note only recall as it was in my grandfather's ancient car, the wipers being operated with a piece of string in through the driver's window pulled up and down!

That car also had 'floorboards', real wooden ones that lifted right up one day when he drove through floodwater in a dip in the road! All the fun and games of the days when there was no technology at all and hardly any basics either!

As for any ignition method for starting the car – that old car was started with a starting handle, woe betide you if you cranked it wrongly as it could easily break your wrist!

Yes, luckily, I'm not quite that old.

Talking of strings through the window, the accelerator pedal snapped off on my Dolomite. To get home, I had a piece of string tied to the accelerator, on the carb, which through the bonnet grill and I accelerated by hand to get me home.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Hi

Cars are cars, a means of transport for me and my fishing tackle.

I buy ex works cars and run them until they die.

Depreciation , I buy for cash and put £30 a week into an account and buy another one when they die.

I have absolutely no interest in driving a flash car or impressing anyone.

I have far more important things to spend my money on.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 09:25 PM

When I started to drive petrol was 4 gal for a pound , non of this ltr measurement rubbish back then.The pound was a note Not a coin
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-05-2019, 10:38 PM

Remember when they said petrol would never be more than £2 per gallon?

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top