Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 11:31 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I agree with Bruce, Asian cars compare very well with
Euro cars on the reliability question, and on the running
costs and affordability front out score euro cars by a wide
margin!
I suppose in the uk this difference is not so evident due to
the tarriffs imposed by eu on imports from outside the eu.
If we ever get out of eu this should change!

Regards Donkeyman!
But my God, they is ugly.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Remember when they said petrol would never be more than £2 per gallon?
Definitely I can remember that, one of my cars has a 20-gallon tank which at 39p per litre (£1.78 per gallon) used to cost £35 to fill in 1984, then came the rapid increase in fuel costs and that then cost a small fortune. Today it would cost £118 to fill. With fuel consumption of a 2.8 litre engine also being far less than today's cars (28-30 mpg on a run, 18-20 mpg round town) it was time to buy a more economical car.

Nowadays when we see the price of fuel in litres it's a psychological 'con' as it hides the true cost of fuel per gallon. I first really noticed this some years' ago when filling an old gallon container for the lawn mower. Today unleaded is around £1.30 a litre, using the conversion of 4.546 litres to a gallon, the cost of a gallon is £5.90 with £2.63 of this being tax. Astounding isn't it!

https://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/fuel-duty/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Anyone remember the old Fords whose windscreen wipers slowed down when you pressed accelerator?
It wasn't just Fords it was any car that used the inlet manifold vacuum to run the wipers - my 1947 Hillman did it too, it nearly threw the blades off the car when you went down hill, though I did like the fact that you could operate the wipers individually or as a pair (they didn't need to be synchronised because their arcs didn't overlap)

Personally I think one of the big mistakes in car design was removing the dip switch from the floor to the steering column. Another irritant with all European cars is that the controls on the steering column were clearly designed for countries that drive on the right.

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I agree with Bruce, Asian cars compare very well with
Euro cars on the reliability question, and on the running
costs and affordability front out score euro cars by a wide
margin!
Asian cars also lasted better on Australian roads
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Yes, luckily, I'm not quite that old.

Talking of strings through the window, the accelerator pedal snapped off on my Dolomite. To get home, I had a piece of string tied to the accelerator, on the carb, which through the bonnet grill and I accelerated by hand to get me home.
I had a mate who had a Dolomite,exactly the same problem he had.He got rid of the car in the end,mind he went through a hedge backwards after losing it on a corner,wrote it off.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Personally I think one of the big mistakes in car design was removing the dip switch from the floor to the steering column. Another irritant with all European cars is that the controls on the steering column were clearly designed for countries that drive on the right.

Nowadays lots of cars come with high beam assist, that automatically switches from main to high beam, my car has this and I think it’s handy, t senses if cars are coming toward you or if you are behind another car, so as not to dazzle other drivers, mine works well...
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

Strange, most are styled in Europe.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Spitty!

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I had a mate who had a Dolomite,exactly the same problem he had.He got rid of the car in the end,mind he went through a hedge backwards after losing it on a corner,wrote it off.
Interesting. it must have been a manufacturing fault. I remember my local mechanic charged me £15 to strip it down and re weld the pedal back on. It also suffered a similar fate when I drove it over a deep pot hole.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Definitely I can remember that, one of my cars has a 20-gallon tank which at 39p per litre (£1.78 per gallon) used to cost £35 to fill in 1984, then came the rapid increase in fuel costs and that then cost a small fortune. Today it would cost £118 to fill. With fuel consumption of a 2.8 litre engine also being far less than today's cars (28-30 mpg on a run, 18-20 mpg round town) it was time to buy a more economical car.

Nowadays when we see the price of fuel in litres it's a psychological 'con' as it hides the true cost of fuel per gallon. I first really noticed this some years' ago when filling an old gallon container for the lawn mower. Today unleaded is around £1.30 a litre, using the conversion of 4.546 litres to a gallon, the cost of a gallon is £5.90 with £2.63 of this being tax. Astounding isn't it!

https://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/fuel-duty/
As you say, we are not aware of this now that it's all done in litres. Unbelievable.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top