Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 10:30 AM

This house believes

That so called sport fishing should be banned.

Well I do anyway.

Same with all forms of killing for so-called sport but fishing is a thing that for some reason people separate from killing and even worse maiming warm blooded things for kicks.

Setting an item of what is or appears to be food but impaled on a ultra-sharp hook that becomes embedded into the mouth or throat of a living being and then dragging it through its natural environment just for entertainment and pleasure just can't be right.

Dragging it while it's in agonising pain, terrified, and fighting for its life is sport?

Not in my book.

Pain? Yes. It has been conclusively proven that fish feel pain.

Terrified? Fighting for their lives? Of course.

And it often gets worse because landing nets are certainly not always used. Instead the fish is lifted out of what for it had been a weightless environment having its entire weight put on its head and the hook embedded in its flesh.

And this is called sport?

It should be consigned to history along with bear baiting, hare coursing, and hopefully very soon the remaining cruelty done in the name of sport.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 10:45 AM

Re: This house believes

You are vegan ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 10:55 AM

Hi

He is Jewish.

The Jewish Religion has ritual slaughter,

Far crueler than Halal Slaughter.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:02 AM

I do agree that to subject a creature to pain just for sport is wrong.
Just because it isn't cute or cuddly doesn't mean it doesn't suffer.

You don't have to be vegetarian or vegan to think that.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

He is Jewish.

The Jewish Religion has ritual slaughter,

Far crueler than Halal Slaughter.
That is simply not so.

It is a commonly held belief that halal slaughter is the same as slaughtering in a way that meets the very strict requirements for meat (or fowl) to be kosher, and while both involves exsanguination the way that this is done is as different as chalk and cheese.

Believe it or not pre-stunning of beasts frequently results in a horrible period of utter confusion and panic for the beast until it used to be either rendered unconscious by means of a 'pithing' device or now by being bled.

I could go into quite a bit of detail about this having spent one summer vacation working in an abattoir in the gut room (yeugh!) Where I witnessed halal slaughtering, shechita (kosher) slaughtering, and ordinary slaughtering --- but I won't unless pressed.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

07-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
You are vegan ?
No, but things with faces that I eat have not been tortured prior to being dispatched.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
That so called sport fishing should be banned.

Well I do anyway.

Same with all forms of killing for so-called sport but fishing is a thing that for some reason people separate from killing and even worse maiming warm blooded things for kicks.

Setting an item of what is or appears to be food but impaled on a ultra-sharp hook that becomes embedded into the mouth or throat of a living being and then dragging it through its natural environment just for entertainment and pleasure just can't be right.

Dragging it while it's in agonising pain, terrified, and fighting for its life is sport?

Not in my book.

Pain? Yes. It has been conclusively proven that fish feel pain.

Terrified? Fighting for their lives? Of course.

And it often gets worse because landing nets are certainly not always used. Instead the fish is lifted out of what for it had been a weightless environment having its entire weight put on its head and the hook embedded in its flesh.

And this is called sport?

It should be consigned to history along with bear baiting, hare coursing, and hopefully very soon the remaining cruelty done in the name of sport.
I agree with you Todger and I am not a vegan. It's the 'sport' part of it I disagree with.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:09 PM

That is simply not so.

It is a commonly held belief that halal slaughter is the same as slaughtering in a way that meets the very strict requirements for meat (or fowl) to be kosher, and while both involves exsanguination the way that this is done is as different as chalk and cheese.

Believe it or not pre-stunning of beasts frequently results in a horrible period of utter confusion and panic for the beast until it used to be either rendered unconscious by means of a 'pithing' device or now by being bled.

I could go into quite a bit of detail about this having spent one summer vacation working in an abattoir in the gut room (yeugh!) Where I witnessed halal slaughtering, shechita (kosher) slaughtering, and ordinary slaughtering --- but I won't unless pressed.
Hi

Please do, I can rebut everything you say.

Halal Slaughter allows prestunning, the animal is unconscious.

Kosher does not, the animal is fully awake and lucid when it's throat is cut.

In Kosher slaughter of cattle, the terrified animal is turned upside down, eyes rolling and kicking in terror, then to have it's throat cut.

I have worked in Slaughterhouses, as an Inspector,in the early days of my career and have seen hundreds of animals subject to Kosher Slaughter.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree with you Todger and I am not a vegan. It's the 'sport' part of it I disagree with.
same here, any so called 'sport' that involves causing pain or the death of an animal is just plain wrong. I don't even like horse racing like Grand National because a lot of times it ends up with a poor horse dying all in the name of 'sport'
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:17 PM

That is simply not so.

Perhaps you should go into detail, as I feel very strongly that if we are going to kill and eat an animal, we should be aware of the process.

I, for one, would like to know.

You could preface the post with a strong wording in bold that the faint-hearted shouldn't proceed with reading the post

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top